The Petaluma Argus-Courier, a division of Sonoma Media Investments, is seeking a new editor to oversee and elevate our digital and print news in this hometown paper. You will help drive innovation and content in an energetic newsroom that is excited about the opportunities for local journalism in a digital age. Editing, reporting and community news experience is needed.
Sonoma Media Investments (SMI) is an independent, privately-owned multimedia company. Formed in 2012 by a consortium of local investors who recognize the value of quality local journalism, SMI is home to the most-read publications and websites in the affluent Sonoma Valley, north of San Francisco.
Each week, seven out of ten North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total – engage with the many SMI publications and their corresponding websites, including: The Pulitzer Prize-winning Press Democrat (the flagship daily), The Sonoma Index-Tribune, Petaluma Argus-Courier, The North Bay Business Journal, Sonoma Magazine and La Prensa Sonoma (the region’s premier Spanish-language newspaper and website).
The Petaluma Argus-Courier covers the county's second largest city, a beautiful and robust city with no shortage of news. From city council races to community events, we are seeking a strong leader to guide the newsroom at this iconic paper. Visit www.petaluma360.com to view our publication.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
You must demonstrate the vision, judgment and skills that produce superior content across all platforms our audience uses to engage with our journalism. You will be expected to:
- Coach newsroom to produce high quality newspaper and website.
- Research and write 2-3 stories weekly.
- Edit news stories for clarity, accuracy and readability.
- Post stories to website daily. Coordinate with other staff members to keep site updated multiple times a day with fresh content.
- Oversee breaking news coverage and be able to pivot priorities.
- Manage social media channels.
- Track local news and trends, suggest news stories that appeal to a wide variety of readers.
- Assign stories and photos to staff and freelancers.
- Maintain a robust pool of freelancers.
- Develop, maintain and monitor long-range story list, ensuring coverage of ongoing stories and planning enterprise stories and series well in advance.
- Write editorials.
- Coordinate page layout with copydesk.
- Lead weekly news staff meetings.
- Proofread pages.
- Maintain robust digital knowledge to enhance the website and reader experience.
- Approve newsroom staff time cards, PTO requests and freelance invoices, ensuring newsroom budgeted expenses are not exceeded.
- Participate in staff development and training, including following safety practices and procedures.
- Represent newspaper at community events, per the publisher.
- Regularly monitor area news sources for news story ideas.
- Plan and execute production of special sections, most importantly the Petaluma People’s Choice Awards magazine.
- Take photos and shoot Facebook Live as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Minimum of five years’ experience with a community newspaper.
- Multimedia skills, including updating a website.
- Supervisory/managerial experience.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar, plus AP Style.
- Individual must have computer skills and knowledge of the Internet.
- Should be familiar with word-processing software, i.e. Microsoft Office Suite, and be able quickly learn software used in the newspaper.
- Work under deadline pressure.
- Interact with sources to gain information.
- Valid California Driver’s license.
Sonoma Media Investment’s values the contribution of their employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, accident insurance and paid time off. Additionally, we ae committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.
To be considered, apply at www.sonomamediainvestments.com/jobs.
Please submit your resume and cover letter, along with 3 writing samples.
Sonoma Media Investments is an Equal Opportunity Employer