We’re Prism, a BIPOC-led nonprofit news outlet launched in 2019 that centers the people, places, and issues currently underreported by national media. We’re committed to producing the kind of journalism that treats Black, Indigenous, and people of color, women, the LGBTQ+ community, and other invisibilized groups as the experts on our own lived experiences, our resilience, and our fights for justice. Read more about our mission here.
Until recently, our newsroom has been led by Ashton Lattimore as our Managing Editor (who is now our first Editor-in-Chief!). As a growing startup, we’re ready to expand our team in 2021 and are looking for the right candidate to step into our reimagined role of Managing Editor, leading the day-to-day operations of our newsroom.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, the Managing Editor oversees Prism’s day-to-day newsroom operations, including content management, program management, and staff supervision. This role supervises our Copy Editor, Senior Reporter, and Senior Editor (who supervises our Staff Reporter).
While our Editor-in-Chief is tasked with setting editorial strategy (e.g., coverage priorities including major events/issues/news we want to tackle, newsroom-wide projects we want to undertake, and high-level story assignment), we’re looking for a Managing Editor who can complement her vision-making by handling the day-to-day execution of editorial priorities, keeping content flowing through the editorial process, and setting and enforcing deadlines.
As Managing Editor and newsroom leader, you will:
- Manage the main editorial calendar and scheduling, including planning the rollouts of series and special projects with support from reporters and editors
- Assign and edit content
- Oversee copy flow; providing approval of final pieces before publication
- Curate website homepage
- Manage key editorial program logistics, with support from the Senior Editor, including Prism’s Reflective Journalism Project, Senior Fellows program, freelance writers, and contributing writers
- Act as primary newsroom liaison to the operations team
- Work with the (soon-to-be-hired!) Audience Engagement Editor to coordinate social media campaigns, newsletter highlights, etc.
- Supervise the Copy Editor, Senior Reporter, and Senior Editor
The Managing Editor role is a salaried, full-time position with benefits. Like all of Prism’s team, this role is fully remote, and we will consider candidates based anywhere within the U.S. Prism offers a generous benefits package including 100% employer-paid medical/dental/vision insurance; six weeks paid vacation plus nine paid holidays per year; 70 hours paid sick leave per year; 401(k) match; professional development support; home office stipend, and more. All staff are provided with a loaned MacBook Air, AirPods, and additional tech as needed.
Starting salary will be between $75-85K.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
Our ideal Managing Editor is an organized, detail-oriented newsroom leader with an intuitive sense of the news that matters to the communities Prism serves, and the skill, passion, and discipline to shepherd content from assignment to publication. We’re looking for someone who has significant newsroom experience, including assigning and editing content and managing projects. The right candidate will be prepared to manage a growing team in a fast-paced environment.
Additional desired qualities include:
- Commitment to the issue areas we cover—racial justice, gender justice, immigration, criminal justice, workers’ rights, environmental justice
- Strong news judgment and a deep understanding of how best to position Prism’s coverage within the news cycle
- Experience as an adept editor and strong writer
- Facility with both short- and long-term planning
- Flexible and adaptive work style with the ability to thrive in a growing, entrepreneurial, mission-driven environment
- Project management and process development capability
- Alignment with Prism’s mission and values
If you see yourself in some of the characteristics we’ve described—even if you may not have the exact experience you think we’re looking for—please reach out! We’d love to hear from you.
ABOUT OUR TEAM
While we are headquartered in California, we are a fully-remote team—with staff member locations ranging from the Bay Area, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, and the US South.
We’re a highly collaborative and nimble team. We embrace and learn from failure, and are able to quickly pivot as needed. We value accountability, joy, and transparency in all we do—from how we show up for each other to how we operate in the world. (Get to know us through our bios here!)
As Managing Editor, you'll be working closely with those who make up Prism's newsroom. Our newsroom team embraces diverse life experiences and quirks, and is currently home to several foodies, proud dog and cat mommas, Hamilton stans, scented candle enthusiasts, a fire-spinning performance artist, a novelist-in-the-making, and more. We're excited to see what you'll bring to the mix!
To apply, email your resume and cover letter in a single-document PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Managing Editor by the conclusion of Monday, January 11. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Consistent with our mission, we believe the experiences of BIPOC, women, the LGBTQ+ community, and other invisibilized groups should be centered in our work and we encourage people from these identities to apply to join us.
Prism is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, disability, whistleblower status, or any other personal characteristics protected by state or federal law. Prism’s policies and practices are to reflect our commitment to nondiscrimination in all areas of employment.