General Sales Manager (req3656)
Under the direction and supervision of Arizona Public Media's (AZPM) Chief Development Officer (CDO), the General Sales Manager (GSM) is responsible for managing the sales strategies of a multi-media portfolio consistent with and in support of the goals and objectives of the AZPM Strategic Plan. Leading a team of account executives, the GSM will create a culture of cross-platform and cross-product selling including, but not limited to, AZPM original programming. The GSM will develop sales strategies with a sharp customer focus that will ensure consistent delivery on revenue expectations. The GSM is responsible for the attainment of the revenue goals and must display entrepreneurial skills in creating new underwriting opportunities. They will also participate in annual budget preparation, capital budget preparation and analysis, and comply with AZPM Business Department reporting requirements. The General Sales Manager is also responsible for maintaining and servicing an individual book of business.
Salary plus commission. Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more. Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled.
To apply for this position or to obtain more information on UA and/or AZPM, please visit talent.arizona.edu and AZPM.org. Direct application link: https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/requisition/3656/application?c=arizona&jobboardid=0#1
Find, maintain and service a book of underwriting clients
- Prospect and cold-call decision makers at local businesses, perform client needs analysis in face-to-face meetings to determine Individual marketing needs and to develop and deliver customized presentations.
- Service accounts including writing copy, working with other departments as necessary to produce and schedule underwriting spots.
- Understand and use radio/television/digital marketing research (e.g., Nielson), and keep up-to-date on product knowledge.
- Meet or exceed market sales goals on a monthly and annual basis both Individually and as a department.
- Develop and implement sales strategies designed to cultivate, solicit, and secure underwriting support from National corporations, local businesses, and qualified private and/or corporate foundations.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with current accounts and continue to cultivate past accounts that are not currently active to see if they can be reactivated.
Manage underwriting staff
- Manage underwriting staff to include the exercise of administrative responsibilities involved In the hiring, training, performance evaluation, and discipline of assigned staff.
- Assign Individual account executive and station sales and budget goals.
- Meet established deadlines for reporting and projections.
- Motivate staff and create a positive working environment.
- Hold Regular goal meetings with underwriting staff to review sales pacing, results, and activity.
- Reinforce, coach, and encourage underwriting staff on account development, systems, procedures, and training Ideas.
Coordinate and manage on-air underwriting inventory
- Ensure that the entire underwriting staff consistently follows all AZPM
guidelines regarding copy approval, copy and traffic deadlines, and accounts receivable and collections
- Work closely and collaboratively with television and radio traffic personnel and the ProTrack traffic system.
Collaborate and work closely and with the AZPM management team on special programs and projects
- Help create packages, prospect, solicit and secure underwriting sponsorships for AZPM donor and community events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Familiarity with underwriting to increase organizational revenue, and familiarity with the local business community and marketplace. General knowledge of the related advertising field. Ability to join organizations to enhance the recognition of AZPM in the marketplace. A knowledge of business etiquette and ability to persuade and communicate diplomatically with clients, staff, and community partners.
Strong sales leadership, collaboration, and project management skills. Strong sales skills for television, radio, and digital social media platforms. Sales negotiation skills, as well as strong presentation and public speaking ability. Understanding of standard radio, television, and digital marketing research; as well as an ability to access research data about potential underwriting clients. Knowledge of radio and television programming, production, and delivery.