The Public’s Radio seeks a Senior Editor, specializing in investigative journalism, to join its growing newsroom covering Rhode Island and the South Coast of Massachusetts. Long-form enterprise and investigative reporting are central to the station’s commitment to local journalism. The Senior Editor reports to the Chief Content Officer. This is a full-time, grant-funded position with benefits to begin in the fall of 2021.
What you will be doing:
Your work will primarily include working with a rotating team of reporters, a staff researcher and interns to develop investigative and long-form stories for radio and web. You’ll be editing broadcast and web features as well as occasional breaking news items. You’ll also help train staff in investigative techniques and other journalism skills. As part of a small, versatile editorial management team, you’ll also work with the Chief Content Officer in more strategic editorial planning for the news staff and help with coverage as needed.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has passion for top-notch writing and creative, fact-basedstorytelling.
- Hasdemonstratedexcellenceinproducinginvestigativejournalism,includingworkingwithpublic records requests, and large datasets.
- Has shown leadership in conceptualizing stories, guiding reporting andwriting.
- Has an interest in, and preferably experience with, collaborating othernewsrooms.
- Values working collaboratively with reporters of different backgrounds and skillsets.
The ideal candidate has:
- Editing experience with multiple platforms, including broadcast, print anddigital.
- Demonstrated proficiency in research and data journalism, including recordsrequests.
- Knowledge of legal issues related to investigative reporting, including privacy, andlibel.
- Experience managing a newsteam.
- College degree or equivalentexperience
Job Duties include:
- Managing a rotating team of journalists, a staff researcher and interns asassigned.
- Developing investigative storyideas
- Overseeing and editing of investigative projects, as approved by the Chief ContentOfficer.
- Multi-platform editing, including digital and broadcastelements.
- AssistingwithothereditorialdutiesatThePublic’sRadio,includingoccasionalbreakingnews editing and non-investigativeprojects
- Training staff in investigative techniques as well as other journalismskills.
- Participating in on-air fund-raising, asappropriate.
- Other duties as determined by the Chief ContentOfficer.
The Public’s Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) provider, committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. The Public’s Radio is a non-profit public media organization serving Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to
with the subject line of Senior Editor, Investigations. No phone calls, please. Position open until filled. Salary commensurate with experience.