Democracy Now! seeks an experienced producer/journalist to join our team as a Senior News Producer. This person will pitch and research stories, book guests, write leads and other copy, and help shape editorial content for the newscast and website. They must have impeccable news judgment, be an avid news consumer, thrive in the fast pace of live daily news, be an excellent writer and copy editor for broadcast and web, have a good eye for editorial visuals and have a passion for Democracy Now! and independent news. They should also have a good sense of humor and work well in a team.
This is a NYC-based onsite position. Work is currently performed remotely due to COVID-19.
Democracy Now! is a non-profit news organization based in NYC. We produce a daily TV & Radio newscast that is carried by more than 1,500 stations worldwide. Our website, democracynow.org, gets tens of millions of page views annually and we have more than a million followers across social media platforms. Everyone who works at Democracy Now! is committed to creating and distributing high-quality independent news – it’s a great place to work.
- Research and pitch stories and headlines
- Write and edit scripts under deadline
- Identify, research, book & pre-interview guests
- Select compelling audio, video and graphics to enhance stories and headlines
- Provide show briefs to hosts, producers and crew
- Edit content for web and post stories to website
- Follow news developments throughout the day
- Support production of occasional on-air fundraising programs for public TV and radio stations
- Help maintain editorial calendar
- Other duties as needed.
- 5+ years journalism or news producing experience
- Impeccable news judgment
- Well acquainted with Democracy Now!
- Live broadcast news experience strongly preferred
- Avid global and domestic news consumer
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills
- Proven ability to work under tight, high-pressure deadlines
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience with content management systems
- Familiarity with social media
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced news environment
- Knowledge of SEO best practices a plus
- Flexibility to work occasional early morning shifts a plus.
This is a full-time New York City-based position with competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Democracy Now! is an equal opportunity employer. BIPOC, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ-identified people are encouraged to apply.
Applications must be received no later than April 19, 2021. To apply, please submit the following here: https://www.democracynow.org/about/jobs/newsproducer#op-122369-senior-news-producer.
No phone calls.
- A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment
- A portfolio link or work sample
- A cover letter that addresses the following points:
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
- How did you discover Democracy Now!
- What recent Democracy Now! story or coverage did you find particularly interesting?
Location/Region: New York