The National Catholic Reporter, the country's premier, fully independent, lay-run Catholic news organization, is hiring a part-time copy editor to work a Thursday through Saturday schedule. NCR's regular office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central time, but we are open to staggered hours.
The copy editor works with other editors and members of the editorial team to copy edit and post stories, columns, commentaries and other media to the National Catholic Reporter, Global Sisters Report and EarthBeat websites. The copy editor reports directly to the NCR managing editor and may work remotely or in the Kansas City office.
- Copy edit and prepare for posting a wide variety of stories, blogs and columns by our dozens of editors, reporters and freelancers, from breaking news posts to longform features, in a timely manner. Posting includes writing headlines and summaries using SEO best practices, writing and copy editing cutlines and photo credits, choosing appropriate photos or illustrations as needed, and creating graphics or video clips as needed.
- Identify grammar and style issues in a piece and work directly with the writer and editor to fix any mistakes, ensuring that the guidelines and expectations per NCR's style guide are clearly communicated.
- Occasionally write, prepare and send newsletters and social media posts.
- Meet weekly with the NCR and GSR managing editors, a representative from EarthBeat, copy desk team, production and social media team to regularly update the style guide, identify upcoming projects and stay informed on the latest digital tools and website maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned by the NCR managing editor.
- The ability to work quickly and accurately on multiple projects on multiple deadlines with clarity and consistency and a strong eye for detail.
- Sound headline-writing skills and the ability and willingness to craft other elements to help tell a story, such as searching for photos or creating graphics.
- A working knowledge of online website publishing and organization tools.
- Familiarity with AP style and fact-checking.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- The ability to self-motivate and work both independently and as part of a team.
- An appreciation for the National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company's mission and a commitment to be part of the company's innovation and growth.
- Team-oriented and flexible, with a positive outlook and a willingness to learn.
- A high standard of accuracy, accountability and integrity.
- Working knowledge of the Catholic Church and its culture a plus.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, often driven by the news in a global environment.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company (NCR) is a non-profit, independent, lay-led news organization that reports on the Catholic Church and wider moral issues facing the human family. It publishes the National Catholic Reporter bi-monthly in print and daily at
. It also publishes Global Sisters Report and EarthBeat online. These publications are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the sacredness and dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation. Throughout our history, NCR has been a voice for the voiceless, disadvantaged and marginalized. It has held authority, secular or religious, accountable.
Interested parties should submit a cover letter explaining their interest and describing their qualifications. Please include a resume with career history. Women and editors of color are encouraged to apply.
Position will average 22.5 hours a week with the rate determined by experience. The position may be asked to work additional hours to fill in absences of other copy editors. All communications will be treated confidentially. All nominations, applications and inquiries should be directed electronically to
by June 4, 2021.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate in the hiring process on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, color, age, national origin/ethnicity or religion.