The Texas Tribune’s director of editorial talent development and recruiting will shape the potential of our newsroom and the reach of our journalism by training our existing reporters and editors, collaborating with human resources to recruit new talent, and managing and building on the Tribune’s robust fellows program.
This position will report directly to the Editor-In-Chief and will work closely with the Human Resources Director on a number of areas that impact newsroom workforce planning and forecasting. The Director will have exceptional communication skills and have a passion for teamwork, iteration, and creativity in helping build a dynamic newsroom.
- Working with the editor-in-chief and director of human resources to create a vision and a pipeline for newsroom talent acquisition and career paths, including identifying and cultivating future employees and future newsroom leaders that address The Texas Tribune’s current and future needs.
- Developing mentorship plans for early- and mid-career employees and succession planning in partnership with newsroom editors with the intention of facilitating employee engagement and enhancing performance.
- Leading newsroom training for editors with a focus on management and leadership, and for reporters with an emphasis on the building blocks of reporting, from source development to beat coverage to best practices for reporting on diverse communities.
- Advising newsroom editors on recruiting strategies that align with The Tribune’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive newsroom.
- Developing and preparing reports that capture the progress and efficacy of newsroom recruiting strategies and training initiatives.
- Working with the human resources director to manage and build on our renowned fellowship program to develop the preeminent teaching newsroom in the country. This includes recruiting, selecting and managing fellows, maintaining relationships with college journalism programs and operating the program.
- Representing the Tribune at various journalism conferences and coordinating conference participation for newsroom colleagues.
- Preparing annual reports on the Tribune’s diversity efforts and maintaining and developing our ongoing source diversity project.
We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of the boxes below, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself
- At least 5 years of newsroom editing or management experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Proven experience mentoring and recruiting journalists through either leadership, effective interpersonal relationships, training, or workplace collaboration
- Demonstrated experience of building relationships with key stakeholders to achieve programmatic goals and objectives
- Advanced degree
- Spanish fluency (written and spoken)
- Experience with recruiting projects using a consultative approach advising on best practices
This is a full-time, exempt position with the following Texas Tribune benefits:
- downtown office with paid parking or commuting stipend
- medical, vision and dental insurance
- cell phone stipend
- 20 days of paid time off each year
- 16 weeks of paid family leave
- 401(k) matching
- support for professional training and attending industry conferences
As a part of our pandemic safety precautions, Texas Tribune employees are working remotely until at least July 2021. This position will eventually be based in Austin.
How to apply:
Visit The Texas Tribune at texastribune.org/jobs to submit an application by August 27 detailing your vision for this newly created position and how you would approach the work, along with a resume and any examples of leadership and mentorship initiatives you want us to see.
The Texas Tribune is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for all, and we encourage applicants of all identities, backgrounds, ages, and abilities to apply. Learn more about The Texas Tribune here.