VPM is a public media organization serving Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. The VPM News team produces award-winning journalism for our NPR station in Richmond and distribution across our digital channels to over 2 million people in VPM’s coverage area. As an independent, non-profit service, we strive to create and serve a more informed public.
VPM seeks a full-time Multimedia Reporter to develop, report, and produce innovative stories for the station’s weekly half-hour, multi-platform news program to debut in January 2022. The broadcast will include studio and pre-produced segments that cover news and issues important to Central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley.
The ideal candidate will have strong journalistic standards and knowledge of broadcast operations, as well as several years of experience producing well-written, visually rich, multimedia stories on deadline. This reporter will bring extensive knowledge of local and regional politics, current events, as well as Virginia history and culture, and use this knowledge to craft stories for the broadcast, website, digital, and social media channels. This role is part of the VPM News team and reports to the Senior Producer.
Knowledge of public media is important, but the ideal candidate will also strive beyond the public media bubble to find people and voices that resonate meaningfully with our established and growing audiences, groups which are racially, ethnically and politically diverse. VPM believes attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission to create and serve a more informed public.
• Research, report, shoot video, record audio, write, and edit news and longer-form stories for broadcast, the website, and social media platforms.
• Field-produce spot news stories, and long form segments.
• Use social media to break news, engage audiences, and expand sources and partnerships.
• Cultivate sources and pitch original story ideas that reflect and impact the diverse communities served by VPM.
• Assist in planning short- and long-term coverage.
• Deepen VPM’s coverage of Virginia state and local politics.
• Serve as a backup line producer.
• Moderate in-person or virtual community events
• Minimum 4 years of experience in journalism reporting and producing news stories for broadcast or digital news outlets.
• B.A. degree in journalism or related field of study is preferred, or equivalent experience.
• Deep knowledge of journalistic standards and ethics with sound judgement and a commitment to objectivity, balance, and fairness.
• Strong reporting, writing, technical, and news production skills.
• Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud and newsroom management software.
• Experience with newsgathering, transmission, and digital asset management technology.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to clearly communicate solutions that foster a culture of teamwork.
• Ability to perform well under pressure, multi-task, meet deadlines, and be flexible.
• Flexible to work unusual hours in remote locations, as needed.
• Must be comfortable working across platforms on broadcast, social, television, and radio.
• Must be willing to use self-branded social platforms to expand the reach of news content, source stories and engage with the audience.
Apply by sending your resume, cover letter, and a link to your reel to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include examples of videos/digital print stories/screenshots of social posts that you have produced and a brief explanation of how you reported on a few of your key stories. The position will remain open until filled.
Competitive salary & benefits package including health, dental and eye, basic life, AD&D and voluntary life insurance, STD & LTD, Flexible Spending Account, PTO, 403(b) and more!
EOE M/F/D/V VPM reserves the right to alter, change, modify, and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.
Location/Region: Richmond, VA (23235)