About: Cascadia Newspaper Company seeks an experienced managing editor to help run Cascadia Daily News — a new locally owned digital daily/weekly print news publication in Bellingham, Washington.
Working alongside the executive editor, the M.E. will have the rare opportunity to help craft a nimble, enterprising news organization from the ground up. The publication is set to launch in January 2022 with an editorial staff of up to 10 full-time journalists.
Cascadia Daily News, a fully locally owned enterprise, is committed to boosting the quantity and quality of local news in Bellingham, a growing city of 90,000. Our coverage area will comprise the upper Northwest corner of Washington state, filling a news void between Vancouver, British Columbia, and Seattle.
Bellingham is flavored by a strong arts scene, a regional university, active outdoor recreation and a burgeoning microbrew culture. The population is highly news literate and historically underserved by local news publications. Our news staff aims to reflect the soul of its unique home.
Location: This position is expected to be full time in the newspaper office located in a historic building in downtown Bellingham, Washington. Remote work is not an option.
Hours: Full-time, primarily Monday through Friday.
Reports to: Executive editor.
Supervises: Reporters, visual journalist, interns and stringers.
Compensation: Salary depends on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, paid time off and a 401k savings plan.
Start date: Open until filled; the ability to start before Oct. 30, 2021, is desired.
Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter online here. https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=cascadia daily news&l=Bellingham, WA&vjk=319b2ac707f334b7.
- Manage daily operation of a newsroom working in a competitive news market.
- Responsible for scheduling, assignments, editing, story budgeting, meetings, photo assignments, etc.
- The M.E. will craft and supervise daily and enterprise coverage that includes: local government, schools and businesses; higher education; a port district, including boating, maritime and fisheries industries; a busy international border; a thriving agricultural community; and three tribal nations, all in an environmentally delicate region that includes Puget Sound and the Cascade Mountains.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Five or more years of experience in newsroom management.
- Prior reporting/writing experience at a daily news publication.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, assign, edit and collaborate across the newsroom to cover both breaking news and enterprise projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Constantly-in-touch communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with a diverse workforce. Ability to pitch in and cover breaking news when warranted.
- Impeccable copy-editing skills.
- Working knowledge of common news-industry content management systems.
- Experience with multiplatform news gathering tools and resources.
- Openness to helping journalists tell stories in nontraditional formats.
- Ability to turn raw analytical readership data into intelligent focus of newsroom resources. (SEO knowledge is a plus, but clickbait artistes need not apply.)
- Familiarity with current style rules and the publication’s ethics policy.
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Design/layout experience for web, digital apps, print newspapers. Basic HTML coding knowledge is a plus.
- Social media posting acumen, both for breaking news and schedule news blasts via email and various other platforms.
- Current familiarity with federal and Washington state open records and meetings laws.
- A desire – a full step up from willingness – to mentor young journalists.
- Cohabitating senses of adventure and humor.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but they should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload. Furthermore, these statements do not establish a contract for employment, nor do they alter the at-will nature of the party’s employment relationship. The employer retains the discretion to change and alter this description at its discretion.
Cascadia Daily News is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment, including decisions to hire, promote, discipline or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other status protected under federal, state or local law.
About this company
Cascadia Daily News, a fully locally owned enterprise, is committed to boosting the quantity and quality of local news in Bellingham, a growing city of 90,000. Our coverage area will comprise the northwest corner of Washington state, filling a news void between Vancouver, British Columbia, and Seattle.
Location/Region: Bellingham, WA (98225)