Title of Job: Multimedia Reporter
Reports to: News Director
Job Status: Full Time, Exempt
Job Location: Pittston, PA
Who we are: WVIA is the PBS and NPR affiliate serving over 22 counties in northeastern and central Pennsylvania. For over 50 years WVIA has been committed to serving the people by offering informational, educational, and entertaining content that enriches and expands viewpoints and serves as a catalyst for positive change. WVIA television channels include WVIA TV, WVIA PBS Kids 24/7, and WVIA Create. WVIA’s radio channels include WVIA Radio, WVIA HD2 and the Chiaroscuro Channel. WVIA’s programs can also be found streaming live and on-demand on wvia.org and the WVIA app. We are located in Pittston, PA, just minutes from Interstate 81 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
What is the role?
We have an exciting opportunity for three (3) Multimedia Reporters. These are new roles for our brand-new start-up News Division. The Reporter is responsible for playing a vital role in WVIA Public Media’s overall reporting and production of news content, not only for radio but also for TV and online. This position is also WVIA Radio’s local voice of newscasts and other local news content, as well as weather, continuity breaks and other local content during the broadcasts of Morning Edition or All Things Considered.
What are the role responsibilities?
• Contribute to up-to-date news content (audio and video)
• Write/produce/anchor radio newscasts
• Operate radio console and radio automation
• Act as a field reporter
• Produce human-interest features
• Develop, produce, and post digital content
• Produce long form features for WVIA’s multimedia projects
• Maintain editorial standards to ensure high journalistic standards of accuracy, thoroughness, diversity, fairness and balance are met through all of WVIA’s platforms.
• Consistently deliver a professional on-air presentation that adheres to standards of WVIA
• Coordinate workflow closely with the news director, the CCO and the radio manager
• Other duties as assigned
What are the job requirements?
• Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Broadcasting, or related field required
• 3 to 5 years’ experience as a reporter, producer, correspondent or another on-air journalism-related role in a professional radio, television, and/or digital environment.
• 1 year live on-air hosting or newscasting is required.
Who succeeds in this role?
• Must have strong broadcast journalism writing skills
• Must possess impeccable journalistic integrity and judgement
• Must have previous experience using digital audio & video editing software, such as Adobe Audition and Premiere
• Excellent on-air presentation
• Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines
• Must have active social media posting as a journalist
• Experience hosting news magazines in public media is preferred
• Must have previous experience in reporting for public media.
• Excellent interviewing skills
• Ability to work independently in a multimedia environment.
• Experience operating a radio console and automation is required.
• Knowledge and experience with ENG and DSLR cameras as well as lighting and sound
• Must have voice quality of a caliber that suits the general sound of WVIA.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, especially relating to journalism
• Technical aptitude sufficient to operate a radio console, radio automation, and requisite equipment, e.g. CD players, phone patches, Skype, Zoom, etc.
• Experience with standard office computer software.
• Fluency in English; the ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
• Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
Working conditions for the role include, but are not limited to:
• Must be able to attend work predictably and reliably.
• Must be able to sit at a desk for extended periods of time, crouch, reach, stand, and use stairs.
• Will have frequent use of a computer and phone for work purposes.
• Must be able to use hands and fingers to control such equipment, as well as for lifting, moving/placing items in various locations and writing.
• Must be able to use fingers and hands for typing.
• Must be able to carry up to 20 lbs. reliably and move equipment as needed.
• Must be able to regularly talk and hear.
What are some of the benefits at WVIA?
• A competitive base salary
• A low-cost medical plan with a Health Reimbursement Account
• A dental plan with orthodontics
• A retirement plan with a company match
• Disability and life insurance, including buy-up options
• Generous paid time off
• Amazing colleagues who believe in the mission of WVIA in service to our members
WVIA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment practices based on any protected category. Minority groups are encouraged to apply. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to those with disabilities.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/Makw1RTzQQA7SOaLsaBoM
Location/Region: Jenkins Township, PA