EDITORIAL CULTURE/ TONE:
Florida Trend’s editorial department is a collegial group of experienced, informed and dedicated journalists who know and understand Florida. In that context the editor’s job is not one of originating story ideas and assigning them. Rather, the editor must help stimulate the imaginations of that group of mature writers and editors and coordinate their output so that the lineup of stories in the monthly magazine is both varied and engaging. Trend’s work must always reflect a deep understanding of what’s important in Florida while engaging and informing its readers with insights and context they won’t find in their sources of daily news. To cover Florida appropriately most full-time and long-term freelance writers work from home offices located throughout the state. An essential role of Florida Trend’s executive editor is to maintain a sense of “team” and to engender collegiality by making sure that everyone gets together at least once a month and also communicates regularly with each other — independent of the editor. Critical to Florida Trend’s editorial integrity is the avoidance of bi-polar “framing” of stories that characterizes daily media and keeping Florida Trend’s work in a neutral, non-ideological frame.
OVERALL JOB RESPONSIBILITY:
- Help determine the content, tone and editorial direction of the companies multi-faceted editorial operations (in-person, print, digital and video).
- Help with oversight of the Art and Web departments’ operations, providing appropriate direction, insight and guidance to the director/ manager of each department.
- Working in conjunction with the Publisher and other Florida Trend directors, contribute to the development of the Company’s long-range goals, objectives and business strategies.
1. Stay informed about Florida and micro- and macro-economics. Use a variety of sources — people, news outlets, periodicals and reports from governmental and non-governmental sources across the political spectrum. Meet with leaders, policy-makers and business executives to stay informed on topics important to Florida and the media company. Attend and participate in local and statewide conferences and events as appropriate.
2. Prepare for and lead story meetings. Help other editors refine story ideas. Develop the final lineups for monthly issues of the magazine and plan future issues well in advance while keeping content timely. Write a monthly column, and when appropriate, feature stories.
3. Help lead and oversee the disbursement of news and content via Florida Trend’s digital channels. Drive content curation of stories that can be used within Florida Trend’s digital operations.
4. Communicate with freelancers and staffers regarding story topics, concerns and ideas. Help enforce deadlines. Edit all copy, including cutlines and headlines.
5. Oversee and work closely with the Art department and the managing editor, lead the editing process through final layout and fit and the “blueline” process. Ensure good marriage of art, design, and content consistent with Florida Trend goals and standards.
6. Safeguard Florida Trend’s journalistic integrity. Maintain appropriate distinctions between advertising and editorial. Guard against bias in story selection and during the reporting and editing processes.
7. Develop the annual editorial calendar in collaboration with the Publisher.
8. Create, manage and oversee an annual budget for editorial department – including managing to P&L
9. With the Publisher and Business Manager, plan and drive all components of the Edit department budget. Collaborate when necessary on the budgets for the Art and Web departments.
10. Continually evaluate other editors, providing generous and regular feedback. Communicate the magazine’s condition and overall goals to the editorial staff effectively.
11. Continually evaluate the publication and its website’s look and content and effect any changes that will improve it.
12. Foster a collegial attitude. Convey to staff that they and their work are valued and important.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Consistently demonstrate a collaborative attitude to build positive working relationships with colleagues on all levels.
2. 4 year college degree
3. 5 – 10 years journalism/editorial experience
4. Knowledge of and appreciation for the state of Florida
5. Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite InDesign software and Excel-type spreadsheets: ability to learn and master software and systems as job requires.
6. Comfort and knowledge of the digital publishing space
7. Detail-oriented, self-directed and independent.
8. Excellent communication skills.
- Usual office environment
- Requires some state-wide travel throughout the year.
Workplace safety is a value of Trend Magazines Inc. Because of this, Florida Trend requires its staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19. New employees must be vaccinated by the first day of employment unless they secure a medical or religious exemption accommodation from the Florida Trend beforehand.
Location/Region: Saint Petersburg