NJ Advance Media, the parent company for NJ.com and The Star-Ledger, is looking for an Associate Editor, SEO/Commerce to join a team focused on generating revenue and audience through our journalism. The candidate will report to and work closely with the Director of Content Innovation.
This role requires someone knowledgeable and passionate about SEO, affiliate marketing, commerce writing and digital media. We are adding to the overall size of our team, and it’s time to bring in someone who is highly competitive, detail-oriented, motivated and excited to join an innovative group.
Candidates should have experience writing and/or editing stories centered around service journalism, and they must be comfortable with the concept of driving significant and sustainable audience and revenue through best practices. Curiosity is a plus.
The position will consist of about 75% editing and 25% writing, in addition to assisting with short- and long-term content strategy. Part of the job will be to track key metrics to ensure content is performing as expected.
This is a job in the editorial department of the NJ Advance Media newsroom.
- Edit and post multiple articles daily in our CMS from several reporters; topics will include trending stories, retail news, shopping tips, how-to guides and concert announcements
- Contribute to the planning and execution of major affiliate marketing and commerce initiatives, such as holiday sales, Black Friday and Prime Day
- Train and work with reporters on SEO best practices, AP style, identifying trending stories and improving their writing
- Contribute writing duties as and when required
- Attend and participate in daily budget meetings with other editors and reporters
- Track key metrics to ensure content is performing to goal
- Create and manage an ongoing editorial calendar in key content areas
- Work with reporters on growth and career path
Skills and Experience
- A degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field or commensurate experience
- At least 3 years of experience with a proven ability in writing and editing, preferably with SEO, commerce and affiliate marketing content
- A passion for informing readers, building audiences and generating revenue
- Clean writing copy, plus the ability to present information clearly and quickly
- Strong organizational, time management and communication skills
- A business mindset
- Ability to work independently as needed and prioritize multiple tasks appropriately
Candidates are encouraged to include a cover letter with their application that details their success with SEO and/or commerce writing, and why they’d be a fit for this position.
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package with affordable options for your healthcare including medical, dental and vision plans, flexible spending accounts, fertility assistance, a substantial 401k plan to help plan for your future, generous paid time off, paid parental and caregiver leave and an employee assistance program to support your work/life balance, optional legal assistance, life insurance options, as well as flexible holidays to honor cultural diversity.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton, PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that's most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law