DIGITAL CONTENT EDITOR
The Buffalo News is committed to ambitious journalism. Our digital desk gets people to read it.
We are looking for a creative and driven digital content editor to help increase audience growth and engagement on our digital platforms. Our digital editors play an essential role in helping The Buffalo News build a digital subscription business. Bring us strong news judgment, great ideas and an ability to get things done, and we’ll set you up with the tools and resources to make things happen.
Digital fluency. Digital content editors must be:
- Voracious digital news consumers, on top of what is new and interesting.
- o Active mobile users, with an intuitive understanding of how to appeal to mobile users.
o Technologically facile, eagerly and quickly adopting and mastering new technologies.
o Creative, easily capitalizing on available content during busy times, but just as easily finding ways to boost audience when it’s slow.
- Savvy and efficient platform management. Newsletters. Article pages. Mobile vs desktop. Push alerts. Social. Video. We work on multiple platforms with an eye toward retention and luring in new subscribers. We need someone fast and able to juggle many tasks at once.
- Great copy-editing and writing skills. We’re looking for a skilled wordsmith with a keen eye for style and grammar. The ability to craft smart, engaging SEO-friendly headlines is a must. Editors must be able to rewrite articles based on updates from reporters in the field and produce related content.
- Understanding of newsroom analytics tools. Our ideal candidate is an analytics hound, eager and comfortable using data.
- Great news judgment. Our editors make real-time news judgments, while also monitoring other news sources and ensuring The News is reacting accordingly.
- Initiative. We want you to tell us what your goals are and challenge the ones we give you. We also want you to try new things. Bring us your ideas, and we’ll help you make them happen. If they fail, we’ll help you figure out why and apply that lesson to future projects.
- Strong communication skills. Comfort with working in a team environment is critical; digital content editors work closely with assigning editors, photographers and reporters.
- Adaptability. The digital landscape changes rapidly. Arguably the single biggest requirement is adaptability – the ability to spot, grasp and master what’s new.
The Buffalo News is an award-winning news organization with the largest staff of journalists in upstate New York. We have a history of breaking the area's big stories and investing in the stories that matter. We strive to hire talented and dedicated people who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. People of all backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.
Why Buffalo? The region is a lot more than chicken wings and Bills mania. The city has seen a resurgence that makes it an exciting time to work and live here. Aside from professional sports teams, the city has a philharmonic, a growing waterfront, a burgeoning medical campus and plenty of attitude. Not to mention Niagara Falls, beautiful hikes and ski slopes all within a short drive.
Interested? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org