Editor, Content Partnerships, C&EN
C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News) produces authoritative, award-winning journalism from around the world of chemistry, including research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. It is published by but editorially independent of the American Chemical Society (ACS), one of the world’s largest scientific societies. C&EN is consistently ranked as one of the top benefits of ACS membership. Its weekly magazine reaches approximately 150,000 members of ACS, and its website receives more than 13 million page views per year.
We seek an editor to join our content partnerships team, which creates independent journalism from and for ACS’s scientific journals.
What you’ll do:
- Identify newsworthy ACS journal papers and commission, edit, and post news stories online.
- Commission, edit, and publish front-matter features for ACS Central Science.
- Develop and maintain an adequate network of contacts and news sources, as well as attend meetings and conferences, to generate story ideas for the above work.
- Recruit and retain a talented and diverse pool of freelance writers with necessary journalistic skill and technical breadth for the above work. Ensure freelancers have up-to-date contracts and statements of work.
- Work effectively with freelance writers to develop stories of appropriate scope and length, set deadlines, handle edits, and create engaging headlines and social trim. Collaborate with freelancers and C&EN’s creative team to identify appropriate art for stories.
- See news and feature stories through C&EN print production as needed.
- Identify and champion opportunities to promote news and features via C&EN’s homepage, social channels, newsletters, and other means.
- Write or edit other items for C&EN as appropriate. Cover local breaking news as appropriate.
What you’ll bring:
- A college degree in chemistry or a related scientific field or equivalent combination of education, certification, and experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and assess newsworthiness of scientific journal articles in chemistry and related sciences.
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with chemical structures, nomenclature, units of measurement, and research methods and techniques.
- At least 3 years of science journalism experience for the associate level. At least 7 years of science journalism experience, including at least 3 years of experience in an editing role, for the senior level. Experience freelancing or working with freelancers is a plus.
- Track record of creating clean, creative, and engaging copy.
- Strong editorial judgment, journalistic values and ethics, and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with limited supervision.
- Knowledge of SEO and social media best practices.
About working at C&EN:
ACS believes in the strength of diversity in all its forms, because inclusion of and respect for diverse people, experiences, and ideas lead to superior solutions to world challenges and advance chemistry as a global, multidisciplinary science. In turn, C&EN believes that to meet its mission to be the world’s go-to source of news about chemistry, our reporting and our newsroom must include diverse perspectives. Therefore, we strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and members of other communities historically marginalized in the chemical sciences to apply.
How to apply:
Along with a resume, please submit three samples of your published work or work you helped shape. Tell us in a cover letter what you can bring to this position. Send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org after submitting your resume below.
This position will be primarily based in the DC office unless otherwise agreed upon. ACS offers hybrid work arrangement of 3 days per week working in the office and 2 days per week working remotely. New employees are immediately eligible for this hybrid work arrangement. ACS offers relocation assistance, if applicable.