Life Sciences Reporter, C&EN
Overview of C&EN:
C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News) produces authoritative, award-winning journalism from around the world of chemistry, including research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. It is published by but editorially independent of the American Chemical Society (ACS), the world’s largest scientific society dedicated to a single discipline. C&EN is widely considered one of the major benefits of ACS membership. Its weekly magazine reaches more than 170,000 members of ACS, and its website receives more than 13 million page views per year.
We are seeking 2 reporters/writers who will keep C&EN readers informed about molecular research in the life sciences, including structural biology, genomic and proteomic research and the science and business of inventing new drugs.
What you’ll do:
- Write breaking news stories for C&EN’s website and longer-form features for its weekly print magazine, with opportunities to work on podcast and video.
- Identify potential news and features about the science and business of inventing new drugs, with coverage spanning emerging biotech firms, new trends in the development of small molecule therapeutics, novel biotechnologies, and evolving concepts in molecular biology and biochemistry.
- Conduct interviews and gather information that leads to accurate and balanced stories for all platforms, including website, newsletters, mobile app, podcasts, and print magazine.
- Construct sophisticated and complex stories that conform to C&EN style and meet deadlines. Work with C&EN’s art team to create graphics and infographics that engage and inform audiences.
- Work with colleagues to find the widest possible audience for your journalism. Share your work and interact with our audience on social media.
- Develop contacts and story ideas by attending or covering key scientific meetings and events and monitoring relevant journals.
What you’ll bring:
- 1-5 years of experience working as a science or business journalist—1-3 years of professional experience is required to apply for the mid-level position; a minimum of 3 years is required for the advanced level.
- A background in science is required; familiarity with the biotech or pharmaceutical industry is a plus.
- Strong news judgment, good writing and editing skills, and good oral communication skills.
- Proven skill in news and feature reporting and writing.
- Track record of writing engaging stories on complex topics for a scientifically sophisticated audience.
- Proven skill with social media, including developing a social media profile of your own to engage audiences and report stories.
Travel expectations: Up to 10%
About working at C&EN:
ACS believes in the strength of diversity in all its forms because inclusion of and respect for diverse people, experiences, and ideas lead to superior solutions to world challenges and advance chemistry as a global, multidisciplinary science. In turn, C&EN believes that to meet its mission to be the world’s go-to source of news about chemistry, our reporting and our newsroom must include diverse perspectives. Therefore, we strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically marginalized communities in the chemical sciences to apply.
How to apply:
Along with a résumé, applicants must submit three samples of their published work. Tell us in a cover letter what you can bring to this position. Send all materials to email@example.com after submitting your résumé below.
Job Location: Position is based in Washington, DC. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.
Link to apply: https://jobs.acs.org/job-invite/6747/
This position will be primarily based in the Washington D.C. office. ACS employees work a hybrid work schedule, consisting of working onsite, three days per week. ACS employees are in the office on Tuesday and Wednesday with the third in-office day scheduled in consultation with the manager. While always welcome to work in the office, employees may work the other two days of the week from a location of their choice. New employees are immediately eligible for this hybrid work arrangement. ACS offers relocation assistance, if applicable.