Starting Salary range: $75,000 to $85,000
Reports to the General Manager
Location: NYC-prefered, but remote is possible
The Audience Manager will lead the Forward’s growth and engagement efforts, developing strategies that maximize our reach across platforms while growing our newsletters’ list size and engagement. The role will occupy a unique position within the organization, working with the newsroom to leverage our journalism and collaborating with business team members on offers tied to membership. The Audience Manager will develop a measurement and reporting strategy to educate stakeholders across editorial, product and business teams about our current and prospective users. This position will also work closely with News Revenue Hub, a nonprofit that supports news organizations, on goals, analytics, reports and more.
Goal-setting and metrics
- Establish and own KPIs for growth and engagement for newsletters, social, SEO, and other channels
- Develop strategies to build reader habits
- Overseeing our analytics, including gathering and reporting of insights from across platforms to inform daily and strategic decisions
- Track, target, and grow loyal reader segments
- Collaborate with business and marketing team members on converting readers to members
- Measure the impact of tactics/experiments
- Owns and executes newsletter list growth strategy using tools such as search, social, site and other creative means
- Own newsletter engagement KPIs and reports regularly on progress
- 3 plus years of full-time experience in an audience function (preferably in a newsroom environment) and a desire to innovate, problem-solve, and launch new initiatives
- Google Analytics (GA4) expertise
- Experience managing professional social accounts, and ideally established brands
- A finger on the pulse of social media trends
- Search engine optimization experience
- Experience running newsletters; knowledge of Mailchimp preferred
- Excellent verbal communication, collaboration and presentation skills
The Forward is an independent, reader-supported nonprofit committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in our coverage, staffing and culture.
The Forward’s office is located in New York City. Local applicants are preferred, however, remote options are available.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes, or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
About the Forward
The Forward is a legendary name in American journalism and a revered institution in American Jewish life. Our outstanding reporting on cultural, social and political issues inspires readers of all ages and animates conversation across generations and different segments of our community. Our English and Yiddish platforms build on a century-old legacy maintained in our archives and lead to a deeper understanding of what it means to be Jewish in the 21st century. While we are deeply engaged in the business of creating a financially stable and successful media outlet, amidst the challenges in journalism today, the Forward has always been a not-for-profit association and is supported by the contributions of its readers.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.