Senior Editor, Inside Climate News (Remote Position)
Inside Climate News is seeking to hire an inspired Senior Editor with a proven track record in editing short- and long-form journalism, managing teams of reporters and working collaboratively with partner newsrooms. Ideal candidates for this position would be able to elevate both quicker-turn stories and complex explanatory, narrative and investigative projects. A deep interest in, and commitment to, covering climate change, the environment and environmental justice would be essential, with extensive subject matter expertise in those areas an important additional qualification, though not an absolute prerequisite. As a leader and manager, they would have distinguished themselves as caring and collegial with staff, with a strong interest in mentoring fellows and other rising journalists.
On any given day, the person selected for this senior editing position might be called on to lead a staff news meeting, schedule and budget stories, brainstorm with staff, confer with reporters on story approaches, liaise with partner newsrooms and, most importantly, edit daily stories, takeouts, think pieces, series and other sprawling works of enterprise journalism with great craft, care, precision and collaboration. The overarching focus of this position is story editing.
The successful applicant must have the ability and ambition to help elevate the work and performance of one of the country’s most experienced and respected climate and environment newsrooms, covering the planet’s most important story; and be aligned with ICN’s core values of kindness, courtesy, collaboration and diversity, in order to help foster personal and professional growth, and keep ICN a great place to work.
The following qualifications, or their equivalents, are also essential:
- A minimum of 7 to 10 years’ work experience as both a writer and an editor.
- A body of work that includes deadline writing & editing, and both writing & editing significant long-form narrative, investigative or explanatory journalism, preferably all three.
- A demonstrated ability to nurture, support and challenge reporters to produce journalism of the highest quality and ambition.
- A deep curiosity that drives reporting, and a passion for story-telling.
Our News Organization
- Founded in 2007, Inside Climate News is an independent, nonprofit, non-partisan news organization covering the biggest crisis facing our planet. With 27 full-time staff members, we operate one of the largest and most influential environmental newsrooms in the country.
- We have a nucleus in New York City, a presence in Washington D.C., and staff working from California to Florida, in Texas, Arizona, Alabama and Kentucky, in Colorado, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. Good ideas propel the operation, wherever they originate.
- As part of our work in the public interest, ICN’s national partnership network collaborates with more than a hundred news outlets throughout the U.S. to strengthen local reporting on climate, energy and environmental justice
- Our robust fellows program helps train the next generation of climate journalists.
- We have earned national recognition for our work and many of the most prestigious awards in journalism, including the Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting (2013) and recognition as a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service (2016).
- For more about ICN, please see our About page.
Salary range: $85,000-$100,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance plans; 401k matching; and generous paid time off.
Inside Climate News is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and welcomes applications from candidates of any background or identity. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please send resume, work samples and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send an email directly to Executive Editor Vernon Loeb, email@example.com, Senior Editor Michael Kodas, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Senior Editor Erin Schulte, email@example.com.