The Missourian, an award-winning, family-owned, twice-a-week community newspaper, is seeking a Managing Editor to help oversee the print and online content of our newspaper. Managing Editor candidates must be deadline-oriented and have strong editing and leadership skills. This position reports to the Editor and combines the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager. The Managing Editor is part of the Missourian's leadership team and will work directly with reporters, other editors and community members who want to get news to our readers.
The Managing Editor should have experience in community journalism, a background in covering government, schools, courts and police. This leader of the editorial department should be eager to edit copy and proof pages and help lead a team that won the Gold Cup in the Missouri Press Association Better Newspaper Contest the last two years.
The ideal candidate has a willingness to learn new skills and likes moving at a quick pace. They will have good news judgment and a desire to stay on top of what’s happening in local communities, the county and the state. The ideal candidate also should be organized with good time management skills.
The managing editor is one of the visible leaders of the paper and is expected to cultivate positive working relationships within the community, including among local leaders and businesses.
Some of the responsibilities of this job include:
- Working in tandem with the editor to advise and oversee reporting staff, including developing story ideas and the scope of news coverage.
- Proofreading and editing daily stories and posting to emissourian.com.
- Working with editors to keep the weekly budget plan up to date and ensure we're meeting our digital and print deadlines.
- Working with other editors to organize longer-term reporting projects such as year-end coverage, election coverage and special event/project coverage.
- Assisting in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style and tone.
- Collaborating with the Advertising Director on planning special sections and senior coverage.
- Helping execute digital goals, which range from posting stories and sending breaking news alerts to keeping readers on our site longer with digital infographics, maps and searchable databases.
Minimum 3 years experience in news reporting and/or editing experience with an appropriate educational background is required.
If you are passionate about community journalism, this is an excellent opportunity in Washington, Missouri, about 50 miles west of St. Louis in the heart of Missouri wine country. Washington is a gem of a community and a great place to live, raise a family and work.
Interested candidates should send their resume, 3-5 recent clips and a cover letter explaining why they are a good fit for this position to Bill Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. EOE.