Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Montgomery Community Media Chief Executive Officer
Date Posted: 9/16/2022
Date closing for applications: 10/15/2022
Montgomery Community Media (MCM) is the only independent, nonprofit organization providing access to public media directly to the 1 million+ residents in Montgomery County, Maryland. As a premier community media organization, MCM provides local news, programming, media training, production services and the use of facilities and equipment. MCM’s work and content has won national and local recognition, including more than 10 Emmy awards.
MCM is searching for a Chief Executive Officer who is a dynamic leader who can capitalize on MCM’s opportunities for audience growth and expansion, as well as face the challenges of diversifying revenue, generating engagement and increasing brand awareness.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will be responsible for the operations and general management of all activities and services. The CEO is the highest-ranking member in the organization and leads a staff of 50 employees. The CEO serves under the direction of the Board of Directors and will, as determined by the Board, provide all appropriate staff support and reporting, including all research material, reports, policy guidelines, and financial information.
- Serve as principal staff to the Board of Directors.
- Develop strategic plans and overall goals with the Board.
- Provide staff support to committees created by the Board.
- Prepare budget and secure final approval of MCM Board.
- The budget must be developed and managed in keeping with the County's Cable Communications Law, the County's Cable Plan process, any applicable FCC requirements and Sec. 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Direct grant application and implementation process and fundraising activities (including yearly fundraising events and activities) in partnership with the Board and staff.
- Design guidelines and oversee implementation of production services to create revenue within the guidelines of MCM’s mission of community service.
- Design and implement a comprehensive evaluation program and make recommendations to the Board on matters related to staffing needs and performance, public information and training needs and other matters of policy.
- Hire and manage a staff budgeted for approximately 50 employees.
- Establish guidelines for and oversee the purchase of all capital equipment for MCM's facilities.
- Design guidelines and oversee implementation of policies and procedures for all access channels, facilities and equipment.
- Design guidelines and oversee implementation of all training programs for community, educational and governmental access users.
- Oversee implementation of promoting community access television to residents, nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, government agencies, viewers and users.
- Design and implement short and long range operational, budgeting and programming objectives to achieve MCM's goals, including supplemental funding strategies.
- Maintain regular communications and effective coordination with units of County and municipal governments and the local educational institutions.
- Keep informed of trends, events and developments within the media industry.
- Work with County and municipal governments regarding programming support services.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Grow the number of Montgomery County residents that engage with MCM through social media, email, in-person and online training, the website, and community events.
- Provide inspired leadership organization-wide.
- Make high-level decisions about policy and strategy.
- Develop and implement operational policies and a strategic plan.
- Act as the primary spokesperson for the organization
- Develop the organization’s culture and overall organization vision.
- Help with recruiting new staff members when necessary.
- Create an environment that promotes great performance and positive morale.
- Assure all legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations.
- Work with the executive board to determine values and mission, and plan for short and long-term goals.
- Identify and address problems and opportunities for the organization.
- Build alliances and partnerships with other organizations.
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the organization.
- A Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree from an accredited college.
- A Minimum of five years of experience in the operation and management media production.
- Video production experience.
- A minimum of 5 years managing a major program or organization, working with a Board of Directors, or C-suite managers.
- Contract preparation and management experience.
- Working with advisory committees and community groups, including the mobilization of volunteers or similar experiences.
- Working with government agencies and educational institutions.
- Knowledge of equipment, systems, and facilities for video production and programming.
- Superior verbal, writing, and oral presentation skills.
- Knowledge of profit and loss, balance sheet and cash flow management, and general finance and budgeting.
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among executives, partners, and the workforce.
- Understanding of human resources and personnel management.
- Proven negotiation skills.
- Ability to understand new issues quickly and make wise decisions.
- Ability to inspire confidence and create trust.
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively, and delegate.
- Evidenced experience in creating and promoting a climate of equity and inclusion through management style, programming and engagement with community stakeholders.
- Forward-thinking awareness of the media landscape with connection to and familiarity of both the digital and terrestrial media production climate.
- Congenial personality with a sincere appreciation for collaboration, equity, and freedom of the press.
$125K - $150K, based on experience.
Medical, life and long-term disability coverage, vacation, sick and holiday time. 403(b) pension plan and tax deferred annuity.
Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time as well as intermittently throughout workday. This person must be in the office a minimum of 4 full work days a week. Our offices are located at 7548 Standish Place, Rockville, MD 20855
Montgomery Community Media is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity of background and perspective are strengths, and seek to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. We encourage candidates from various backgrounds to apply.
Date Posted: 9/16/2022
Date closing for applications: 10/15/2022
How to Apply:
Email resume, cover letter and any supporting information to: