The digital editor will be responsible for developing and helping to implement social media and multimedia strategies for the National Catholic Reporter, EarthBeat and Global Sisters Report. The digital editor works with the publications' editors and reports directly to the NCR executive editor and the Global Sisters Report editor. This person would also help build a team of content producers by helping to identify, hire, work with and manage freelance and contract content producers. (As digital needs grow, this person may supervise other staff members of a digital team.) This position is remote.
- Working with other editors, create strategies for all audio, video and social media for NCR, EarthBeat and Global Sisters Report. This includes prioritizing and planning social media content, integrating video content with reporting; using video to promote content; and coordinating podcasts.
- Create, in conjunction with managing editors, processes by which basic social media posting can be integrated into the current reporting, editing and copyediting workflow. Do basic daily community management on social media platforms, including TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
- Work with in-house reporters and editors, as well as freelance and contract content producers, to create short videos, longer-form videos, promotional videos and audio content/podcasts. Work with in-house or freelance graphic designers to create and curate content for multimedia and social media use. Manage multimedia budget.
- Train reporters and editors in best practices of journalistic use of social media. Coordinate and strategize how individual accounts complement and coordinate with institutional accounts.
- Attend daily NCR editors meeting, as well as other meetings as necessary to maintain communication with editors and reporters to plan and prioritize audio, video and social media content.
- Work with the editors on higher-level social media and other engagement strategizing and implementation, such as growing international audiences for Global Sisters Report and EarthBeat and younger, more diverse audiences for all three publications.
- Working with publisher and executive editor, update the company's social media ethics policy for employees.
- Occasionally write newsletters or blog posts.
- Work with publisher and marketing staff on engagement strategizing as needed.
- Maintain high standards of accuracy, accountability and integrity.
- Other duties as assigned by executive editor.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor's degree or higher, plus at least five years of experience managing digital and/or social media accounts for media outlets to develop a voice for publications and elevate brand awareness.
- An appreciation for the National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company's mission, as well as deep knowledge of the Catholic Church, social and political issues.
- A successful track record of growing an organization's digital content and social media analytics, especially among targeted demographic groups.
- Experience managing other employees and/or external freelancers and contractors.
- Comfort multi-tasking and working both independently and as part of multiple departments, as well as an ability to work collegially with a geographically-dispersed staff.
- Experience with video, audio and photo editing; fluency in a content management system (NCR currently uses Drupal); and familiarity with Google Analytics and Slack
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule, often driven by the news in a global environment.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company (NCR) is a non-profit, independent, lay-led news organization that reports on the Catholic Church and wider moral issues facing the human family. It publishes the National Catholic Reporter 26 times a year in print and daily at ncronline.org. It also publishes Global Sisters Report and EarthBeat online. These publications are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the sacredness and dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. Throughout our history, NCR has been a voice for the voiceless, disadvantaged and marginalized. It has held authority, secular or religious, accountable.
Interested parties should submit a cover letter explaining their interest and describing their qualifications. Please include a resume with career history and three samples of social media and/or multimedia content or campaigns, including video. Women and journalists of color are encouraged to apply.
This full-time position carries full benefits and salary commensurate with experience. All communications will be treated confidentially. All nominations, applications and inquiries should be directed electronically to email@example.com by February 1, 2023.
National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees. Reasonable accommodations or exemption will be considered for medical-related or sincerely held religious objections.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is an equal opportunity employer, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.