NY Daily News Dep. Metro Editor
The NY Daily News is seeking a deputy metro editor comfortable with juggling multiple stories in a fast-paced and dynamic environment at the heart of the Daily News’ operation. It is a demanding and rewarding job requiring top notch news judgment, strong managerial and editing skills and the ability to communicate quickly and effectively.
The ideal candidate for this deputy senior content editor role will possess strong news judgment and apply digital skills and understanding of what drives audience engagement. They will work in a fast-paced news environment that focuses on the digital space and requires editors to juggle multiple responsibilities on any given day, including working with reporters to zero in on the best stories and tell them in a way that resonates with readers.
This editor will work directly with reporters and other editors to supervise and shape daily and longer-range local news coverage encompassing crime, courts, criminal justice, education, transportation, real estate and other New York City-focused stories for The News’ digital and print platforms.
The ability and willingness to design and champion creative approaches to storytelling geared to dovetail with the changing habits of an increasingly mobile audience is critical to success in this position.
Key responsibilities will include supervising and coordinating with reporters in the field, planning, assigning, re-writing and editing stories for our print, digital and email products.
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team-oriented work environment
- Competitive base salary
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) match
- A generous (paid) flex time off policy
The NY Daily News is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. Because that’s the only way we will deliver on our mission to provide meaningful journalism to the diverse communities we serve. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
- Job Title: Deputy Senior Content Editor; this is a supervisory role
- Status: Exempt
- Hiring Manager: Robert Dominguez, Managing Editor
Salary Range: $80,000- - $94,000
Schedule is Tuesday-Saturday, with flexible hours
- Working to increase employee engagement and instill a learning culture
- Coaching and guiding reporters in the field
- Participating in the development of employees across the content team.
- Harnessing audience data to drive content and personnel decisions, aiming for content that is of interest to the local audience to maximize engagement and drive subscriptions.
- Editing articles and graphics for grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy.
- A team-first work ethic and an ability to foster excellent communication with peers, supervisor, department and newsroom.
- Familiarity with online metrics and audience tracking systems.
- Exceptional news judgment and proven ability at carving out distinctive angles on major news events.
- Strong editing skills with the ability to transform a story and help a writer deliver high quality work.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks with very little supervision, while being quick, accurate and meeting deadlines.
- Solid grasp of the rules of grammar, spelling, punctuation. Ability to write and edit accurately, with clarity, without bias.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and ability to research SEO and appropriately populate fields and headlines.
- An ability to multitask in a deadline-driven environment, and adapt constructively to change.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.
- Organizational skills.
- Knack for diplomacy
- A minimum of three years in a newsroom editing or supervisory role.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field required.
- Deep understanding of the operations of how news and audience intersect in an increasingly competitive media landscape.
- Strong grasp of the critical issues facing New York.
- Entrepreneurial, digitally savvy, with exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills.
The NY Daily News is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.