NYDN Sr. Hollywood Gossip and Celebrity Columnist
The NY Daily News is seeking an experienced celebrity gossip and entertainment reporter based in the Los Angeles area to write for the NY Daily News along with dozens of affiliated newspapers in Tribune Publishing and Media News Group.
Though this embedded reporter will report to the National and Entertainment News desk based in New York City, only candidates based in Los Angeles will be considered for this role.
The ideal candidate has a robust contact sheet, impeccable news instincts and extensive experience covering breaking celebrity news and exclusive entertainment stories of interest to a broad audience, not just those of interest to Hollywood insiders and trade publications. The goal here is to generate a steady flow of high-impact and high-interest exclusive stories and scoops, establishing a leadership position in this crowded coverage arena.
The role will require some weekend and evening reporting in order to hunt down the best stories Hollywood has to offer.
- Establish NY Daily News' red carpet presence at movie premieres, award shows and other celebrity events
- Pitch and help develop recurring features and enterprise stories
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, rewarding and team-oriented work environment
- Competitive base salary
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) match
- A generous (paid) flex time off policy
The NY Daily News is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. Because that’s the only way we will deliver on our mission to provide meaningful journalism to the diverse communities we serve. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
- Job Title: Senior Journalist
- Hiring Manager: Amber Garrett, National/Entertainment Editor
- Guild eligible
- Salary range: $80,000-$110,000, commensurate with experience
Basic skills and responsibilities
Create content for nydailynews.com and other digital platforms that engage audiences and supports the newsroom’s mission. Develop, report, analyze and create original news and feature stories in text and other forms, including, when appropriate, video, audio, podcasts, Facebook Live events, simple graphics, etc.
- Exceptional news judgment and proven ability to carve out distinctive angles.
- A unique, engaging voice that conveys both the authority of a Hollywood insider and the accessibility of a friend with a great piece of gossip to share.
- Solid grasp of the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation. Ability to write accurately, with clarity and without bias.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and ability to research SEO and appropriately populate fields and headlines.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.
- A minimum of five years of experience writing exclusive entertainment stories and breaking celebrity news.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or commensurate experience.
- Exceptional contacts and access; established rapport with celebrity representation.
- Unimpeachable journalistic ethics.
- Deep understanding of the operations of how news and audience intersect in an increasingly competitive media landscape.
The NY Daily News is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.