The Online News Association (ONA) is on a mission to inspire and support innovation and excellence in digital journalism to better engage and inform the public. We are seeking a Communications Manager to showcase ONA’s programs and impact, and connect digital journalists to opportunities to improve their work and the industry.
In close coordination with the Director of Communications, the Communications Manager will support a range of communications efforts and campaigns to grow and more deeply engage our audiences, including ONA members, partners, media funders and technology leaders.
We are looking for someone highly motivated and focused, with strong writing and project management skills and a keen attention to detail. This job will be perfect for someone wanting to manage a digital marketing and communications portfolio, contribute creative storytelling ideas and support the global journalism community.
The application for this position is open through Nov. 23. We will review applications on a rolling basis, with a goal to conduct three stages of interviews beginning in late November and aim to confirm an offer in late December.
- Collaborate across the organization to surface compelling stories about the people and projects ONA supports, and share industry insights to inform and inspire key audiences.
- Support in maintaining a content strategy and calendar for ONA’s web properties.
- Create effective messaging for email and social media campaigns to promote ONA’s products and services throughout the year.
- Manage marketing playbook for the annual Online News Association Conference and Online Journalism Awards, and help determine growth opportunities.
- Provide ongoing editorial support for the organization and be a champion for brand voice and integrity across all platforms.
- Support in tracking metrics and developing insightful and actionable reports on marketing and communications efforts.
Type: Exempt full-time position
Reports to: Long-term, Director of Communications. Temporarily, Chief Strategic Partnerships Officer
Works closely with: Program Team, Partnerships Team, Director of Technology
Direct report: None
Starting salary range: $60,000 – $74,900
Benefits include, and are not limited to:
- Flexible hybrid and/or remote work schedules
- Paid medical, dental and vision
- Professional development (yes, we really do invest in this!)
- Competitive leave, including 36 days for vacation, sick leave and holidays.
- Competitive family-friendly benefits (parental, caretaker and bereavement)
- Milestone anniversary benefits
- 50% dependent medical care
- 401(K) plan match
- Flexible Spending Account
- Short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance plan
- Reimbursement for mobile call and data plans
- Partial gym/fitness reimbursement
→ Learn more about ONA’s employment benefits.
Location: This position is open for remote applicants. Our headquarters are based in Washington, D.C., with opportunity for space in NPR’s offices.
Mission, Vision and Values: ONA’s mission, vision and values are available on our website and we encourage applicants to check out our team values. We expect all employees to demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion, including contributing to a culture that celebrates all forms of diversity.
We know many candidates bring a full complement of experience, skills and ideas, even if they don’t check every box of a job description. If you meet many of our criteria, please don’t hesitate to apply. Every application will get serious consideration, including those with skill sets we may not have included here. We welcome all applicants who will bring a unique perspective and personal characteristics to our amazing team.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Work experience in a communications, marketing, content strategy or related role.
- Fluency in culturally sensitive messaging and commitment to ongoing learning on good practices for connecting with a diverse, global audience.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated success managing multiple work streams in a highly collaborative and fast-paced context.
- Evolving understanding of digital communications strategies, tactics and trends, with ability to proactively advise on and test new opportunities.
- Experience producing email campaigns and newsletters from start to finish, including through MailChimp.
- Experience managing brand social media accounts.
- Familiarity with WordPress CMS.
- Ability to present data and conclusions in an organized, concise manner.
- Familiarity with trends and issues in the digital journalism industry is a plus.
- Strong sense of compelling visual design is a plus.
ONA hires, supports, compensates and promotes regardless of race, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or veteran status.