Who We Are:
Founded in 2001, Public Media Company (PMC) is a non-profit consulting firm that provides specialized business expertise to public and independent media organizations and increases public media’s impact across the country. To this end, Public Media Company is dedicated to furthering the public-service values of public media and fostering innovation and sustainable growth.
Throughout its 21-year history, Public Media Company has served more than 375 public and independent media organizations that provide vital information and cultural vibrancy to communities across the country. Its efforts have provided new or enhanced media services to more than 80 million people, or about one-in-four Americans. The Public Media Company team draws upon a deep knowledge of media, substantial financial and operational acumen, and a disciplined analytical approach to new opportunities for public media. Core services include leading organizations through complex transactions, fostering mergers, engineering journalistic collaborations, providing virtual accounting services, and identifying sources of capital for expansion.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for the leadership and growth of Public Media Company. The CEO collaborates with a high-performing staff; inspires the board, staff and clients with ideas and actions; and uses sophisticated management skills to advance the organization’s culture, capabilities, and impact.
The CEO has responsibility for:
- establishing local and national strategic public media initiatives consistent with the mission of the company;
- advising and executing complex transactions on behalf of PMC and its clients;
- obtaining philanthropic support for PMC;
- hiring and managing staff and overseeing the day-to-day operations of the company in coordination with the Managing Directors and Director of Accounting; and
- working closely with the Public Media Company Board to set strategy and achieve annual goals and objectives
- oversees the design, development, and execution of PMC’s strategies;
- creates business opportunities for PMC and delivers high-quality consulting to clients;
- manages in a fiscally responsible manner to maintain PMC’s financial health;
- represents the organization within the public media industry as well as with foundations, individual donors, and other outside constituencies;
- stays current with the public media and independent journalism issues, opportunities and challenges, including developments in media technology;
- regularly communicates, collaborates and strategizes with PMC’s Board;
- maintains a working environment that is supportive, inclusive, and fair for employees, consultants, advisors, and contractors; and
- operates with high integrity, ethics, confidentiality, and trust in Public Media Company.
CRITICAL SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
The Public Media Company CEO is a visionary, creative, collaborative, mission-driven individual who will maintain a positive, aligned culture within PMC, guiding the organization to peak effectiveness in serving public media while ensuring financially sound operations.
The Board of Directors will select a results-oriented leader with strong internal and external relationship skills and experience managing a team. The Board will seek the future Public Media Company CEO who has:
- a professional demeanor and is trustworthy and highly respected among staff, clients, colleagues and board;
- a “hands-on” approach to projects and managing the organization, as well as demonstrated knowledge of business, leadership, finance and public service;
- excellent communication skills and is effective with a wide range of stakeholders;
- the ability as an effective data-driven decision-maker and change agent who can assess, prioritize, and include others in the problem-solving process;
- excellent follow-through, executing and reaching success measures and deadlines;
- substantial experience with media, trends in technology and consumption of media;
- technological competence, including digital and social media and the evolution of all different platforms;
- a clear commitment to and proven record of growing diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives in the workplace;
- a deep commitment to and knowledge of public and independent media; and,
- a capacity as a lifelong learner to effectively adapt to change, putting the mission and success of public media first.
- Bachelor’s degree, with an advanced degree or related professional qualifications preferred;
- 10+ years of executive-level history and work experience;
- Demonstrated experience in and around public or for-profit media;
- Extensive experience scoping, negotiating and executing complex, transformative projects;
- A history of working with non-profit boards;
- Strong financial acumen, with an understanding of public media operations; and
- Proven track record with philanthropic fundraising.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary range $200,000 - $250,000
- Benefits include medical, dental and vision reimbursement, disability, and life insurance, 403b contributions, vacation and sick time
- The CEO does not have to reside in Colorado but is expected to live and work in one of the four times zones of the continental U.S.
- Travel to in-person staff meetings, consulting engagements, board meetings and industry meetings required
To apply for the position, please submit a confidential letter of interest, your resume and at least three references to email@example.com no later than Friday, April 7, 2023.
The ideal start date is no later than September 1, 2023
Public Media Company is committed to diversity in all areas of its work and encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.