The Batavian, a digital news publication and Genesee County’s most popular news source, is creating a new position: Publication Assistant.
The job is an important support role for both our news operation and our advertising department.
- Publish press releases
- Publish calendar items and seek out events to add to our calendar
- Manager our Deal of the Day Program
- Create and publish a daily newsletter
- Manage syndicated news stories
- Traffic ads in our ad server
The job requires a person who can juggle these different tasks and stick to deadlines. It is a work-at-home job, so the person needs to be able to stay focused on his or her job without direct supervision.
Some journalism training is probably a necessity. You need to be able to rewrite press releases when necessary and edit press releases to conform to Associated Press style.
Solid knowledge of HTML and CSS is a definite plus.
The more experience you have with email newsletters and social media, the more you can help us grow our business.
Good communication skills is essential since making our calendar everything we want it to be will require you to make phone calls to gather information and develop relationships with event organizers.
Why work for The Batavian?
- You will be joining an engaged team of coworkers
- An opportunity to grow and learn and redefine the job
- Work from home and set your own hours so long as you get the job done
- There’s never a dull moment working in the news business