Deputy Director of Photography
FULL-TIME JOB - DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY - THE DENVER POST - DENVER, COLORADO
The Denver Post is seeking a Deputy Director of Photography with a strong visual voice to join our photojournalism team as a manager. The Deputy Director of Photography will work closely with all departments in the newsroom to produce visual content for all sections and all platforms in a fast-paced environment. The Deputy Director of Photography reports directly to the Senior Editor for Photography and Multimedia and helps lead a team of five staff photojournalists and one part-time photo editor.
Responsibilities include managing the day-to-day scheduling of photographers, working with reporters and editors to identify and coordinate photo assignments, attending daily and weekly news meetings, keeping track of daily story developments and adjusting to breaking news situations. You must be an organized, skilled communicator who can juggle daily assignments and editing while managing and coaching photographers.
- Work with section editors, assistant editors and photographers to plan visual coverage of news, sports and features stories/events.
- Coaching and supervising photographers
- Attend news meetings to gather information about ongoing and upcoming stories/events.
- Coordinate and assign photo requests with photographers.
- Work with editors, online producers and print production staff to ensure the best and most appropriate images appear in print, online and on social channels.
- Place appropriate images, slideshows and videos in online stories.
- Build and edit local and wire slideshows for online.
- Use social media to promote Denver Post photojournalism content.
- Understand the latest technology and digital trends.
- Work with outside news sources to determine the best logistics that will ensure quality photography.
- Edit selections of photographers’ pictures for the highest quality, storytelling images.
- Edit caption information to ensure accuracy, clarity and insight into the subject.
- Edit wire service reports for viable photographic content.
- Coordinate coverage with freelance photographers.
- May occasionally be required to cover photographic assignments with company equipment.
Experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree and supervisory experience in a newsroom
- Proficiency in Photo Mechanic, Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Pro and content management systems are required. WordPress experience a plus.
- Commitment to a high standard of journalism with a keen attention to detail
- Creative, fast, accurate and flexible
- Adept at juggling tasks and calm under pressure in deadline situations
- Familiar with best practices in the industry and naturally curious about how other newsrooms are using digital tools to better tell stories
- People skills- able to bring together team members with often divergent viewpoints in order to achieve common goals