Seeking An Innovative Newsroom Leader
The Miami Times is seeking an intelligent and driven Managing Editor to lead the publication’s small but agile editorial team. The Miami Times is a venerable, paid circulation weekly newspaper serving the Black community for nearly 100 years.
The Managing Editor position is at the core of our editorial department. This person will be responsible for conceiving and executing an editorial vision for our print and online operations that delivers robust, responsive, and balanced content across all of our distribution channels. This individual must first be curious and smart. They should be an engaged citizen who is passionate about supporting our community’s growth and having pride in place. They must have the ability to understand the mindset of our publication’s audiences and bring their voices into the conversation. Successful applicants will have an eagle editing eye, a nose for news, a solid understanding of best journalistic practices, a knack for audience engagement, and an eye for growth opportunities.
From an editorial content perspective, we want someone that can lead the charge in addressing important local issues, critical challenges, and potential opportunities in a way that makes people always eager to see what The Miami Times is up to.
Traits We Are Looking For
Organized and Detail Oriented │ A Communications Expert │ Be Curious and In-the-Know
Tech-Forward │ Self-Motivated and Solutions Oriented │ Responsive │ Creative
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Independently develop ideas for relevant articles, drawing on current events as well as topics/themes we determine to be impactful to the Black community.
- Develop relationships with local elected officials, business leaders, and other community stakeholders to support editorial goals.
- Collaborate with our graphic designers to help conceive and develop thoughtful and creative pages for the weekly Miami Times edition.
- Be able to effectively handle breaking news coverage, feature writing, and enterprise reporting for both print and digital.
- Oversee the hiring and supervision of freelance writers, photographers, and other necessary contractors.
- Recruit talent to support the needs of the department, with the goal of building a diverse editorial staff composed of skilled writers and editors working on both our print and digital platforms.
- Conduct regular editorial department meetings to discuss content planning.
- Establish measurable goals and milestones for the department.
- Work cross-functionally with sales, production design, circulation, and operations teams to create conversations, content, and products that attract readers and advertisers.
- Demonstrate consistent, effective work habits, efficient time-management planning, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ensure MiamiTimesOnline.com is kept up-to-date with daily postings from wire sources by the Digital Coordinator, as well as assist in the content selection for our weekly e- newsletters.
- Contribute to The Miami Times editorial calendar, planning coverage in a meaningful and strategic manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a similar field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
- A strong writer’s voice and knowledge of AP Style, journalism ethics, and laws.
- Knowledge of South Florida or a strong willingness to hit the ground running and learn.
- Availability for appearances at community events, meetings, and extended deadlines outside of traditional office hours
This is a full-time senior management position with a salary of $63K - $75K, depending on prior work experience and qualifications.
**This position is currently remote as we complete renovations to our headquarters; we expect all staff members to return to our office on construction is complete.**
The Miami Times offers a competitive salary plus employee benefits, including group health insurance, a company profit-sharing plan, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
When applying, please include your cover letter, resume, and at least two sample writing pieces.
A little about us … The Miami Times is the oldest and largest Black-owned media company in the southeast. Since its founding in 1923, the family-owned newspaper has been a leading voice for South Florida’s Black community, deftly covering important issues, ranging from politics to culture. Today, our dedicated team continues to further The Miami Times' legacy, driven by a commitment to deliver comprehensive, thoughtful, and engaging journalism to our readers in print and online.
Award-Winning ... In 2019, for the second year in a row, The Miami Times took home the top honors from the National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA). The Times again claimed the title of the 'Best Black Newspaper in America' and secured the coveted John B. Russwurm trophy along with awards in 12 NNPA merit categories.
DISCLAIMER: This is not an all-inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties, and responsibilities to this job at any time. As an equal opportunity employer, The Miami Times does not discriminate in hiring or the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, citizenship or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. The Miami Times will consider the provision of reasonable accommodations to known physical or mental disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants to enable them to participate in our application process and to effectively perform the essential functions of the job unless doing so would impose an undue financial or operational hardship.