POSITION DESCRIPTION: This position manages a team of journalists responsible for producing community news online and in print. This position is responsible for providing strategic leadership and direction for the newsroom for The Post and Courier state-wide news initiative.
- Manage and coach reporters to seek out hyper-local news on a daily basis, as well as plan and execute impactful, enterprise stories that will draw interest in our area
- Bolster coverage by handling day-to-day assignments and working with reporters to produce high-quality community news content, photos, video, podcasts, etc. that are relevant to our readers
- Work with staff to edit stories and make them relevant and important to our reader base in print and online with attention to detail, SEO, headlines, and marketing
- Plan newspaper content, conducting daily and weekly content planning meetings as needed
- Coaching reporters on written, photographic, video, podcasts content, as well as enterprise pieces
- Detecting holes in stories and correct errors and syntax in copy to improve understanding for the average reader
- Monitor newsgathering operations and collaborate with staff to update readers on developing and breaking stories
- Establish collaborative relationships with community leaders
- Promote positive image of the newspaper and its initiatives
- Collaborate and work effectively with other departments and the Evening Post Newspaper Group team
- Stay in touch with reporters in the field on breaking news, seek assistance when needed from other editors and hub designers.
- Practice effective time-management for copy flow and production.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications
- Accomplished executive editor or managing editor
- Experience using digital Content Management Systems (CMS)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Superb social media skills
- Strong writing, editing, AP style and libel law skills
- Proficient in InDesign, Photoshop and other news design programs as well as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Deep understanding of digital and print media, including social media
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Good customer relation skills with the ability to easily and professionally speak and work with readers and the public daily.
- Ability to prioritize workload and self-manage projects, handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
- Knowledge of the community and surrounding cities a plus
Regularly required to sit for long periods of time; close eye work on computer screen; required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, bend and stoop; light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds.
The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes, and is sometimes subject to outside environmental conditions.
Local travel may be required.
Send resumes to Becky Baulch at email@example.com.