Audience Engagement Producer, PolitiFact
PolitiFact, the country’s largest political fact-checking organization, is looking for an audience engagement producer to serve our wide-ranging online audiences. We’re looking for someone with ideas for innovative ways to tell and promote stories and fact-checks through platform-specific strategies. How can you use social media, newsletters and audience engagement to fulfill our mission to give people the information they need to govern themselves in a democracy?
On social media, PolitiFact values being correct before being first (... it is fact-checking, after all). We want to be helpful to our audiences from Twitter users to TikTok followers to newsletter readers. The audience engagement producer is a core member of our editorial team and plays a crucial role in maintaining our connections with readers as well as drawing in new ones.
This position will report to PolitiFact’s audience director, and will have the freedom to explore new platforms and strategies to reach new audiences and sustain current followers. We’re interested in someone with the ideas to innovate internal digital processes, who is also collaborative and self-starting — someone willing to take the lead on audience projects.
Why you should join us at PolitiFact:
- Horizontal hierarchy: At PolitiFact, your voice matters. We have accessible leadership with whom you’ll work everyday, along with the entire team of reporters, editors and audience professionals.
- Experimentation: The fact-checking/misinformation space is ripe ground to develop engagement strategies that connect people to facts through a myriad of strategies. You’ll have the freedom to test and learn from strategies that work.
- Supportive team: Mentorship and interactions with our team allow you to be close to the action. It’s a great opportunity to network and build meaningful connections across PolitiFact and the Poynter Institute.
PolitiFact is based at the non-profit Poynter Institute, where this position will have the opportunity to participate in journalism events and career-affirming training all year long. Poynter also houses the International Fact-Checking Network and MediaWise, creating a fact-checking consortium and community.
We are committed to diversity and an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position.
- Posting politifact.com website and video content to social media and engaging with readers
- Crafting accurate, compelling social copy and visuals on deadline
- Monitoring trends, reader suggestions and audience analytics
- Communicating best practices for social media storytelling and engagement
- Working closely with the editorial team on story planning and promotion
- Writing and producing editorial newsletters
- Supporting promotion of our newsletters, events and membership
Need to have:
- A bachelor’s degree (or comparable experience in journalism)
- Experience managing social feeds (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Excellent copy writing/editing skills, with an emphasis on social media writing
Nice to have:
- Interest in fact-checking!
- Familiarity with social scheduling and analytics tools, such as Google Analytics, EchoBox
- Experience writing editorial newsletters
- Experience with Echobox or a similar tool
- Fundraising experience, knowledge of nonprofit news strategies
- TikTok know-how and skills
- Spanish language proficiency/fluency
Salary range: $45,000-$55,000
Interested candidates should apply by October 7th, 2022 at 12AM ET. Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Open until filled.
No phone calls, please.
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL or Washington D.C. preferred, open to remote candidates based on experience
Have questions about this position? Contact Josie Hollingsworth, Audience Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Informational interviews are available upon request.