Audience Engagement Producer, Poynter (hybrid work arrangement)
Poynter seeks an audience engagement producer to serve our audiences of journalists, media industry insiders, and news enthusiasts. The job will start in early to mid-May.
We’re looking for someone who has ideas for innovative ways to source, tell, and promote stories through platform-specific strategies. They will use social media, live audio, vertical video, and audience engagement strategies to fulfill Poynter’s mission to answer big questions about the past, present, and future of journalism and its vital role in democracy.
Our social media presence is robust, and we want to continue to enliven social feeds with creative new content in Poynter’s voice. A successful candidate will bring curiosity and a willingness to try new strategies (driven by data) to the role.
The audience engagement producer is a core member of our newsroom and plays a crucial role in maintaining our connections with readers as well as drawing in new ones. But the producer will also support engagement needs outside of editorial, communicating Poynter’s unique position as a school, newsroom, and high-profile advocate for media and journalism.
This position will report to Poynter’s audience director and will have the freedom to explore new platforms and strategies to reach new audiences and sustain current followers. We’re interested in someone with the ideas to innovate internal digital processes, who is also collaborative and self-starting — someone willing to take the lead on audience projects.
- Posting Poynter website content (including Poynter’s brands: International Fact-Checking Network, MediaWise and more) to social media and engaging with readers
- Crafting accurate, compelling social copy and visuals on deadline
- Monitoring trends, reader suggestions and audience analytics
- Communicating best practices for social media storytelling and engagement
- Working closely with the editorial team on story planning, promotion and production
- Contributing to written editorial content
- Supporting promotion of our newsletters, training and events
- Vertical video production on a monthly basis
Need to have:
- A bachelor’s degree (or comparable experience in journalism)
- Experience managing social feeds (Facebook, Instagram/Threads, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok)
- Excellent copywriting/editing skills, with an emphasis on social media writing
- Interest in deep conversations about the past, present and future of journalism
Nice to have:
- Graphic design interest and know-how
- Familiarity with social scheduling and analytics tools, such as Google Analytics, Chartbeat, and/or EchoBox
- Fundraising experience, knowledge of nonprofit news strategies
We are committed to diversity and an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position.
Interested candidates should apply by March 1, at midnight Eastern. Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.
Have questions about this position? Contact Ren LaForme, Managing Editor, at email@example.com or Josie Hollingsworth, Audience Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Informational interviews are available upon request.
Salary range: $45,000-$53,000