Executive Editor - Meriden (CT) Record Journal
We’re seeking an executive editor to serve as the lead role in our newsroom and to oversee coverage and audience engagement at The Record-Journal in Meriden, Connecticut.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to put their stamp on a community that appreciates high-quality journalism, is highly engaged with the newspaper and website and is actively seeking our content online.
You would be joining a fun, progressive company that’s focused on publishing and creating engaging content that supports our audience and digital subscription growth.
The executive editor should have a sense of urgency, be a skilled communicator and a leader who can motivate a newsroom and also work effectively and collaborate across departments.
The executive editor will lead the development of the company’s coverage, create strategies to actively listen to the community and is ultimately responsible for the quality of the journalism the media company creates. The editor will work with the reporting staff closely to ensure all content produced reaches that quality of journalism.
We’re seeking a journalist who thinks reader-first , prioritizes community listening and understands how to approach stories for today’s reader, using platforms, formats and tools that tell stories effectively. This includes being a leader in newsletters, video and social media.
The ideal candidate should have a strong news background and also see the value in other forms of content (sports, lifestyle, things to do, business) that can help grow new audiences. You should also understand how to reach readers in underserved communities by creating content that is valuable as well as employing outreach strategies that help engage with those audiences.
The executive editor should fully understand how to use analytics in the newsroom and how to create a culture of using a balance of data and news judgment to drive their coverage plan.
The executive editor will be a member of the company’s core management team and will be responsible for executing executive management functions including department and annual budgeting, managing employee recruitment, performance, development and compensation, and strategic planning.
Success for this role will be measured by the amount of impactful journalism that is created, growth in the overall audience and digital subscriptions and the creation of a culture that supports using data and a sense of urgency in covering our communities.
This role offers the opportunity for a hybrid in-office and remote working arrangement. The executive editor will be expected to be in the office on a regular basis; however, remote work from home is available on a limited basis each week.
Some specific things we’re seeking
- You should have at least five years of news experience in a leadership role.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with managing a department, including strategic planning, budgeting and personnel actions.
- Outstanding and well-rounded reporting skills.
- A digital understanding on how to optimize content through SEO best practices, social media engagement and texting.
- Ability to build relationships in the community that increase engagement and user generated content.
- An understanding of print workflows and approaches to making the print reading experience a good one.
- Excellent editing skills with an attention to detail.
- You’re proficient in content management systems, Google Analytics, social media tools and digital storytelling tools.
- Superior organizational skills and able to juggle numerous priorities at the same time.
- This position requires the ability to travel locally to gather news content and attend community events. A valid driver’s license and transportation is required, or, if no license, reliable and at-the-ready transportation.
All interested candidates must submit a cover letter or statement briefly explaining your interest in this role and your related experience. Cover letters/statements can be uploaded or you may include it in the additional comments section at the end of the application.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class or characteristic. Any candidate selected must pass a background check and drug screen as a condition of employment.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/R81JjbIWea6Bqc1EWtp7Wo