Pressman Assistant Manager
Pay: $54,000.00 - $64,000.00 per year
Assists the Pressroom Manager with leadership in overseeing pressroom employees and participates in pressroom operations to assure excellent quality of printed publications while meeting deadlines for the daily newspaper and multiple special sections and niche products. Includes assisting with the planning and direction of all pressroom activities, daily press runs, expense budgets, quality improvement and other pressroom issues.
Essential Job Functions
· Direct and work as one of the pressroom staff of journey level and apprentice press operators in the safe, efficient operation of the plate, press, reel room and related equipment.
· Assist in the preparation of press diagrams for each run and serve as liaison to other departments to insure clear communication regarding workflow and problem solving.
· Work in conjunction with the Pressroom Manager to interview, hire and serve as judge of ability for pressroom staff.
· Oversee and assist in the coaching, training and apprenticeship progress of all press operators, including performance appraisal responses at least once a year.
· Provide input to establish and monitor a schedule for maintenance of all equipment. Make recommendations to Press Manager for purchase of any necessary upgrades for superior printing quality or to address any safety issues.
· Process and monitor a variety of reports required to monitor the press department operation. Make decisions taking into account the negotiated bargaining agreement and appropriate company guidelines while treating all employees and co-workers with dignity and respect.
Proven leadership ability to oversee and assist in the directing of the
pressroom, in the absence of the manager plus journey level press
operator skills to participate in the pressroom operation. Strong
communication skills to provide clear and consistent direction of staff.
Demonstrated mechanical aptitude, plus knowledge of computer
Lift 25-40 pounds on regular basis. Lifting up to 75 pounds.