The Providence Journal, the oldest continuously published newspaper in the country andpart of the USA Today Network, is seeking an experienced, motivated and aggressive watchdog reporter to join its award-winning team.
We seek a well-organized and dogged reporter, a strong storyteller with a high comfort level filing FOIA and public records requests, envisioning and executing project-level packages, brainstorming enterprise and mining the compelling story from the data.
The candidate who prevails will be a reporter who will develop and sustain sources beyond the official spokespeople and hierarchy in the staff directory and will refuse to accept the usual suspects as the voices we highlight. This reporter will be equal parts eloquent storyteller, data miner and investigative workhorse.
Commitment to accuracy and building trust with audiences and sources is a must. We aim for journalism with impact, holding public officials and others to account while illuminating what’s obscured and revealing the upshot for our readers. You’ll work as part of our watchdog team, helping to uncover wrongdoing and to expose what’s broken and needs fixing.
The Providence Journal is part of the USA Today Network, the largest team of journalists in the United States. In this job, expect to work on quick-turn investigations, occasional breaking news and serious, long-term, heavy-duty projects. In each realm, this job gives you the opportunity to elevate your best work to national attention.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach. Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience’s passion.
- Places a high priority on data analysis to identify trends that would otherwise go unreported.
- Strategizes and executes distribution and optimization plans for all content.
- Demonstrates clear concise writing skills with strong nut graphs and “why this is important to me” content.
- Superlative journalistic credentials.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to uphold the highest standards of journalism across all platforms.
- Minimum of 3 years’ reporting/newsroom experience.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Comfort using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen.)
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.