U.S. News & World Report is a digital first media company dedicated to helping consumers and business professionals make important decisions. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for more than 85 years.
As a trusted authority providing empowerment and guidance that improves the quality of life for consumers and communities, U.S. News ultimately leads to better life decisions.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive. In this position, you will use your strengths and skills to create and curate consumer-focused advice content for the money section covering topics including saving and budgeting, spending, taxes and family finance.
You’ll be responsible for writing and updating advice-oriented stories and slideshows as well as core guides on topics like filing taxes, building an emergency fund, creating an estate plan and saving for a major purchase. You will also write stories breaking down COVID-19 relief measures for consumers such as stimulus funds and expanded unemployment benefits.
In this role, you will also write and curate a twice-weekly money-focused newsletter that features personal finance, retirement, real estate and careers content. In addition, you will manage and edit a group of regular contributors who write personal finance content.
Are you up to the challenge?
- You should be an experienced writer who is well-versed in covering personal finance topics and skilled at juggling several assignments at once.
- You will help identify new content opportunities, help manage our monthly content calendar and assign and edit articles from a group of regular contributors.
- The Personal Finance editor also writes and curates our twice-weekly Your Money Decisions newsletter.
- This position involves working closely with an enthusiastic, highly collaborative team of money editors in a fast-paced digital environment.
- Please submit a resume, cover letter, and two published writing samples (or links) for consideration.
You should definitely have:
- Three years of writing experience, preferably for a consumer audience and in an online journalism environment.
- Strong knowledge of personal finance topics, including taxes and estate planning.
- Strong editing skills and experience.
- Solid understanding of SEO best practices.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Experience with content management systems.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- College degree; journalism degree a plus
It would be nice if you had:
- Expertise covering personal finance topics, including taxes.
- Experience building and optimizing newsletters.
- Experience editing and managing freelance writers.
- Familiarity with SEMRush.
- Experience with traffic analytics tools.
What it’s like to work with us:
- Talent is our best asset!
- We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers. Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info: