Hachette Book Group is looking for an energetic, organized, and passionate Marketing and Publicity manager to join the team. The role will specifically manage the Laurence King Publishing (LKP) list and report to the Director of Sales, Marketing and Publicity for LKP and Mobius.
They will coordinate marketing and publicity campaigns for roughly 60 titles /year across the Laurence King lists, from planning to implementation, and will work closely with the Chronicle sales team, the New York based LKP and Mobius team, and the UK based LKP team. This role will be remote to start, but will be based from our San Francisco office, with the expectation of in-office working hours once offices open again.
Laurence King Publishing is one of the world’s leading publishers of books and gifts on the creative arts. We work with some of the world’s best illustrators, designers, artists and photographers to create beautifully produced books and gifts which are acclaimed for their inventiveness, beautiful design and authoritative texts. We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about art, design, and photography, as well as gift-specific publishing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as the main (onsite) LKP contact at Chronicle Books
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the Chronicle Books sales and distribution teams
- Present at sales conferences for trade & specialty lists to communicate with reps about how to sell-in LKP’s list
- Guided by ongoing seasonal sales analysis and feedback from reps in the field, strategize on which titles need marketing vs. publicity pushes
- Responsible for LKP’s attendance at relevant US consumer and trade fairs (including researching new conference/show opportunities)
- Create marketing materials and catalogues for titles across the LKP trade, gift, and children’s lists.
- Create impactful and measurable on and offline marketing campaigns which directly drive sales
- Responsible for the design and production of marketing materials and collateral, both in digital and print
- Oversee social media content and digital activity as part of marketing campaigns
- Work alongside publishing teams in both the US and UK to ensure all key stakeholders stay informed and involved in campaign strategy across list
- Analyze marketing information to identify marketing opportunities and develop recommendations
- Manage marketing budget ensuring appropriate allocation of resources, and suggest spend for campaigns
- Effectively communicate marketing plans to authors/agents/relevant stakeholders
- Ensure appropriate and measureable reporting of activity and results
- Increase US-focused marketing efforts across the list. Including, but not limited to:
- Creation of sales and marketing materials, including catalogues
- Upkeep of Edelweiss catalogues, including creating and uploaded spreads and new title information
- Mailings, e-blasts and advertising
- Amazon AMS
- Identifying joint promotional opportunities for LKP titles with similar Chronicle books and gift
- Create, present and implement integrated publicity campaigns for designated lists and titles/products
- Build and maintain the profile of the company’s authors, brands and titles
- Create, implement and measure innovative publicity campaigns to grow sales, raise author/book/product profile and brand awareness
- Analyze the impact of publicity on sales working with sales, marketing and editorial teams
- Organize and accompany authors to publicity events, where applicable
- Maximize opportunities for author/contributor events and attend events as required
- Deliver high quality author/contributor care at all times
- Liaise closely with editorial, sales and marketing team to ensure fully integrated campaigns
- Deliver presentations of publicity plans at internal meetings
- Pitch books and authors to media contacts and event organizers
- Disseminate publicity coverage and author events via relevant social media
- Maintain records and ensure databases and metadata are up to date
- Maintain and share market and media awareness
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven significant experience in marketing and publicity - managing, developing and measuring campaigns, preferably in the publishing industry
- Passion for, or experience with, photography, art, and gift-focused lists, and a general understanding of the Laurence King publishing list
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to work across time zones (PST and EST) and with stakeholders across the US and UK
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects across teams at once.
- Self-motivated, hands-on, creative individual with exceptional oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Strong initiative and judgment. Results-oriented and able to work well independently as well as collaboratively or with a team.
- Strong communication skills with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency with multiple social media platforms and content management tools
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency with WordPress as a content management tool
- Familiarity with online programs such as Canva, AdEspresso, Mailchimp, and Squarespace
- Should demonstrate compassion, empathy, and ethical behavior in interactions with employees and the world at large. Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization; takes the lead in inspiring others to work together for mutual benefit.
- Willingness to travel to New York 2-3 times a year, or as needed, for relevant conferences, trade shows, media visits, etc. (once travel is allowed)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT / COMPENSATION & BENEFITS DISCLOSURE:
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position has a compensation range of $60,000. Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.
Location/Region: San Francisco, CA