If you want to work for a dynamic company with a solid growth plan for 2021 and beyond, we want to talk to you! Now's your chance to be part of the team that brings you the most trusted publications in the community: The Colorado Springs Indy. The Colorado Springs Business Journal. Southeast Express. The Pikes Peak Bulletin.
At Colorado Publishing House, we have a mission. We're not just a company — we are part of the community. We believe journalism is an invaluable public service, and we invite you to become part of that mission to be a light in the darkness, a voice for the disempowered, to speak truth to power. We believe truth matters. If you do too, join us.
We are currently hiring an Associate Editor for the Colorado Springs Indy.
- Assist in all aspects of the newsroom — the associate editor should be able to handle copy editing and managing reporters and could fill in for managing editors or the editor-in-chief if those editors are absent or not available.
- Have a minimum of two bylines per month, whether opinion, editorial or news (print or digital).
- Work with reporters on story ideas and improving their writing.
- Assist with budgeting stories each week and managing resources.
- Plan and manage special sections.
- Work with the design department to budget stories and plan covers.
- Host/facilitate events.
- Work toward assuming the responsibilities of managing editor. In most cases, the associate editor would report to the managing editor or editor-in-chief for guidance regarding story assignments, etc.
- Strong background in news and features copy-editing and well-developed logical thinking skills.
- Thorough knowledge of AP Style.
- Experience with Adobe InCopy and TownNews preferred for all newsroom positions.
- 5 years’ newsroom experience (newspaper/magazine/online), ability to juggle multiple deadlines at a time, wrangle writers and play well with others.
Salary: $38,000 - $45,000
At Colorado Publishing House, we reward our hardworking team with perks to end all perks. In addition to competitive salaries, health and dental insurance, we offer paid time off whenever you need it (yes, you read that right!), a trade program for up to 50% off food and merchandise from a variety of local businesses, free tickets to local events, entry to company events you know and love, including Indy Best Of and CSBJ Rising Stars. And as if all that wasn't enough, your dog is welcome to join you in the office and starting at 4 p.m. each day, you'll also have access to the company's beer keg which is stocked with IPAs from local breweries. What are you waiting for? Send your résumé, cover letter and references to email@example.com
Location/Region: Colorado Springs