SmartNews is seeking an experienced Business Development professional to help expand and manage our publisher partnerships. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented with excellent communication skills. Relevant experience includes working in Business Development for a premium media company and/or working for a technology or social media platform coordinating directly with premium publishers. The role is located in the New York City metro area, and reports to the Executive Director of Media Business Development.
Goals & Responsibilities
- Assist with assessment of market fit for new Business Development initiatives
- Manage rollout of new Business Development initiatives. Includes independent management of pipeline of Business Development deals and ability to close new deals and expand existing partnerships.
- Serve as an active stakeholder among internal groups including Content, Media Operations, Engineering, Product and Finance
Assessment of market fit for new Business Development initiatives
The Business Development Associate will work with the Executive Director of Business Development on assessing market fit and strategy behind a variety of deals. The twofold goals will be to strengthen the SmartNews content offering and bolster its standing within the publishing community as a source of quality engagement and, increasingly, new revenue. This involves gathering inputs from the Product and Content teams on potential new initiatives. The pivotal candidate will know the content world inside and out with working knowledge of local media, video. Will be able to adapt to new initiatives.
Manage rollout of new initiatives and pipeline of prospects to close
SmartNews prides itself on being publisher-friendly. A key part of the Business Development Associate duties will involve communicating strategic initiatives to new and existing partners.
The Business Development Associate will have broad experience working on a variety of distributed content initiatives and will be well-versed in how publishers work.
As an esteemed member of the publisher community, candidates will be able to seek out and set up meetings with her/his peers. Individuals will understand how to work across various stakeholders within the typical matrixed publisher organization. She or he knows how to anticipate reactions, manage expectations, and get deals signed and implemented. This is a detail-oriented roll-up-the-sleeves type.
Initiatives may range from paid content licensing, revenue sharing, and could span across various kinds of media including text articles, video and more. Adaptability and desire to work in a start-up culture will be key.
Be part of a fun, dynamic group
SmartNews embraces startup culture, and a willingness to wear many hats is key.
Working with and across our engineering, product and other teams as a key stakeholder representing both the needs of our publisher partners and readers will afford some unique challenges as we strive to create a better product, improve our metrics and grow our user base.
A desire to get to know and understand our SmartNews engineers and engineering culture is key. Travel to our offices in San Francisco and Tokyo, Japan is expected. Individuals may also expect to attend a few select publishing conferences each year.
- Well-rounded candidates should have working knowledge of all aspects and types of premium content from local media to video, and should feel comfortable working with various types of publishers on a variety of business deals including arrangements such as paid content licensing and revenue sharing.
- Deep understanding of distributed content and intimate knowledge of the inner-workings of publishers and a variety of content and/or social media platforms.
- Cross-functional understanding of publishers and able to engage with stakeholders from editorial, sales and advertising operations, product development, legal and executive teams.
- Existing contacts and high-quality peer network at medium-sized to large publishers is a must.
- Experience working in an engineering-driven culture is a plus.
- Candidates will have had at least 5 years work experience