The Press Democrat, (www.pressdemocrat.com) a division of Sonoma Media Investments, is seeking a strong, multi-disciplinary journalist for its online news team in Santa Rosa, California. The candidate must be a strong reporter who has a thorough understanding of the different social media platforms and knows how to engage and grow an audience.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Be the go-to online reporter for early morning breaking news across Sonoma County 4-5 days per week from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. The rest of the day, you'll work as a producer, overseeing the homepage, creating digital content and collaborating with the news team.
- Work collaboratively with reporters and content editors to ensure Press Democrat stories clearly convey information in such a way that readers will understand online.
- Approach change positively and adapt quickly to new work situations.
- Some weekend work will be expected.
- BA from accredited college or university or equivalent education and / or experience in journalism or communication.
- 3+ years’ experience in a newsroom environment preferred.
We offer an opportunity to grow your career at our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom, with opportunities to contribute to our newspapers, websites and regional magazine. All have been recognized as among the best in their respective categories.
The position is based in Santa Rosa, an hour north of San Francisco, where vineyards give way to redwood forests and a scenic coast. The region, home to 650,000 people, is an international destination for tourists and produces some of the best wine and beer on the planet. Two colleges, along with thriving tech, farm and government sectors make this region of diverse communities an exciting and dynamic place to work.
Formed in 2012 by a consortium of local investors who recognize the value of quality local journalism, SMI is home to the most-read publications and websites in the affluent Sonoma Valley, north of San Francisco.
Each week, seven out of ten North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total – engage with the many SMI publications and their corresponding websites, including: The Press Democrat (the flagship daily), The Sonoma Index-Tribune, Petaluma Argus-Courier, The North bay Business Journal, Sonoma Magazine and La Prensa Sonoma (the region’s premier Spanish-language newspaper and website).
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off. We are committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.
To be considered please, please apply at www.sonomamediainvestments.com/jobs. Include a resume and cover letter, and be sure to complete all required fields in the online application.
Sonoma Media Investments is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Location/Region: Santa Rosa, CA