The Poynter Institute is seeking a part-time editor for up to 20 hours a week. The position would begin immediately.
The schedule is flexible but would include the editing and production of stories for Poynter.org, the International Fact-Checking Network, MediaWise, our suite of daily and weekly newsletters and other good work. The gig also includes the planning and execution of some long-term projects and managing freelance reporters.
Our ideal candidates will have had strong professional editing experience at respected journalism organizations and who are looking for a flexible, part-time gig.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Excellent editing skills.
- A devotion to deadlines and timeliness.
- A good working knowledge of AP Style.
- An understanding of the American media environment.
- More than five years of professional editing, especially at a newspaper, magazine or online news outlet.
The right person would have some combination of these attributes:
- A strong sense of curiosity and a love of journalism and the news media.
- Be comfortable with technology, including WordPress, MailChimp, Slack, GSuite and social media platforms.
- Enjoy remote work; we prize collegiality in an online environment.
Salary is negotiable. There are no benefits with this position. We are especially interested in diverse candidates.
Please contact us with a resume and cover letter or a portfolio and introductory letter to
Deadline to apply: April 9, 2021