ABOUT OUR COMPANY AND THE OPPORTUNITY
Lee Enterprises is the nation’s fourth-largest provider of high-quality local news, with 77 daily “newspapers” in 26 states with digital access, e-replica versions, apps, and a robust offering of e-newsletters. Lee's newspapers have a combined circulation of more than 1.2 million daily. Our digital sites attract more than 44 million unique visits monthly. We are passionate about the vital and important role of local news across the nation.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a newly created team charged with identifying and launching new digital products that will delight and inform consumers, as well as enhance and improve existing ones. The creation of Lee’s new Audience Development department is a demonstration of the company’s urgent commitment to and excitement about creating compelling content offerings and rich media experiences for consumers, across digital platforms, and across topic areas from college sports to food, from weather to crime, and more. The goal is to drive consumer engagement, conversions and ultimately revenue.
The position is fully remote, allowing us to attract the very best talent and very best fit, no matter where you live.
What You Will Do
• Work with the Audience team in extracting and analyzing audience engagement behavior data to help guide recommendations in launching new paid digital content products for consumers, including apps, e-newsletters, podcast offerings and more.
• Similarly, use audience engagement behavior data to identify opportunities to improve and enhance existing digital consumer products at Lee, such as newspaper websites, e-replicas, apps and e-newsletters.
• Investigate queries from the Audience team about competitors’ consumer products as well as other marketplace opportunities that could lead to revenue opportunities in the form of new consumer products or experiences.
• The audience analyst will be a key and influential member of this burgeoning team that is shaping the present—and future--of digital news and feature consumption by consumers on a local and national scale.
• The role will report to the Director of Consumer Product Development, and will interact regularly with a variety of departments, including the news division’s editors and publishers, circulation and subscription marketing.
Who You Are
• You have at least 3 years of experience working with audience data analytics for paid consumer content product offerings with subscription models. The winning candidate will have this experience in a media/content setting, for example, working with news or feature content offerings at a media company. In this way, you will have deep facility understanding the consumer conversion journey, from browsing to email registration to fully paid subscriber.
• You will have expertise in data analytics and audience research but beyond that, you will know how to translate, synthetize and contextualize data into clear, relevant and meaningful insights, in order to facilitate smart and actionable decisions about consumer product enhancement and launches to the Audience team. In other words, you will know what story the data is telling us about the opportunity to create a product that consumers will love and pay for.
• You might be a data scientist by training who is keenly interested in consumer experiences and products or you might be an experienced journalist who has become a data analyst and appreciates the power of data insights in order to create superior content for consumers.
Data Analytics Experience with business intelligence tools:
• Three plus years working deeply Google Analytics 360, preferably with certification.
• Tableau or DOMO expertise
• Proficiency in SQL
• Data visualization tools such as Google Data Studio, Google BigQuery, Looker Redshift.
• Adobe, Looker
• Mather’s Listener
• Google Tag Manager
• Powerpoint or Google Sheets
• Google Trends, Google News Consumer Insights, including Realtime Content Insights and Google Search Console
• Facility using competitive analysis tools such as SimilarWeb or SEMrush.
• Experience with JIRA and related Agile methods.
Characteristics and skills:
• Proficiency using data tools to produce audience insights that drive consumer conversions and paid subscriptions.
• Possesses excellent analytical judgment about which data tools and findings are the most relevant to the consumer and business goal at hand.
• A commitment to ongoing self-education about new and emerging audience data insight tools.
• Facility with transforming data into models or visualizations in order to answer consumer behavior questions.
• Has the knowledge and seasoning to well choose, prioritize and contextualize a deep and wide data set in order to focus content and business leaders on the most pertinent insights.
• Leverage data and research to identify consumer content trends, assess marketplace competition, scope opportunities for new product offerings and close strategic knowledge gaps.
• Create queries, custom reports and data visualizations.
• Ability to both top line and deep dive data exploration as needed.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills most especially aimed at translating data detail into lay language.
• Comfortable clearly communicating data findings and insights in laypeople’s language and in actionable and compelling executive summaries, especially bearing in mind that various internal audiences have differing degrees of research knowledge and lexicon.
• A healthy curiosity about digital consumer product content and rich media experiences across a range of topics, from sports to food, crime to weather, and more.
• Equally facile at self-motivation and working independently, as well as interacting well with multifunctional team members across divisions.
• Ability to juggle multiple product initiatives with competing deadlines and timeframes.
• A passion for helping to create high-value consumer content offerings and to support the important role of local news.
Please include a cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for this role, and include some details about digital consumer products you worked with a team to test or launch. Applications with a cover letter will get priority consideration.
The role is fulltime, and permanently remote. Some travel to Davenport, Iowa will be required when it is safe to do so.
Lee offers a competitive salary and benefits package as well as a challenging and rewarding work environment. For more information about Lee, check us out at www.lee.net. EOE