The Mark Morris Dance Group (MMDG) seeks a Marketing and Digital Engagement Associate to join a highly motivated, results-oriented marketing team in advancing the reputation and brand visibility of Artistic Director/Choreographer Mark Morris and the touring Mark Morris Dance Group and Music Ensemble, as well as broadening the reach and deepening the engagement with key audiences through the organization’s education and community engagement programs. The Associate will help implement MMDG’s marketing and content strategy across owned, earned, and paid channels with a specific focus on social media and website management. This role reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications.
The successful candidate will join a community of dedicated arts and administrative professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’s commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts, and the impact that the arts have in connecting and engaging communities. MMDG is committed to ongoing and sustained equity and inclusion work. All staff are expected to be actively engaged and dedicated to upholding our core values of celebrating our diverse community, pursuing excellence in all that we do, advancing access, exposure, and opportunity to dance and music, and cultivating creativity. Learn more about MMDG’s commitment to antiracism and our core values.
Key responsibilities include:
- Curate the organization’s brand across social media channels – Instagram, 3 Facebook pages (Mark Morris Dance Group, Mark Morris Dance Center, Dance for PD), Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube.
- Implement content and engagement tactics to grow followers and engagement on all channels, ensuring content is aligned with marketing and fundraising initiatives.
- Analyze and report monthly on results across social media channels.
- Optimize tactics based on monthly performance reports.
- Manage the main markmorrisdancegroup.org website to ensure that it is consistently up to date; work with staff across the organization to develop or secure content for the website.
- Monitor Google Analytics Reports and create custom reports as needed.
- Work with other departments to ensure that microsites are up to date.
- Troubleshoot issues with the website and liaise with external web agency.
- Work with Marketing and Communications Manager and Coordinator on crafting messages that meet institutional, fundraising, and marketing goals.
- Assist Marketing and Communications Manager with press listings, pitches, maintenance of press kits, and other press assets.
- Work with Marketing Coordinator to maintain and update departmental system for filing and retrieving content, including photographs, videos, press articles, and press quotes.
Compensation and Benefits
- Annual Salary: $40K-$42K; commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation, sick/personal leave, holidays and bonus days
- Comprehensive benefits package includes: Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, Voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax commuter benefit, 403(b) retirement plan, and 100% paid family leave
- Access to free and discounted classes at the Dance Center and online
- Access to special events and MMDG performances (when available)
- Invitations to cultural events extended to staff members by community partners.
- Applications accepted through our website – www.mmdg.org/jobs
- Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- You will be asked to submit the following as part of your online application:
- 1-page Cover Letter addressed to Laura Giannatempo, Director of Marketing and Communications
- Complete résumé highlighting relevant experience.
- The cover letter should include answers to each of the following questions:
- Why are you interested in working at the Mark Morris Dance Group?
- The Marketing and Digital Engagement Associate will be responsible for managing growth and engagement of MMDG’s social media platforms, and for updating and maintaining its website. What relevant skills and experiences would you bring to this work?
- MMDG is a values-driven organization; please review our core values of Community, Excellence, Creativity, and Access and discuss two instances in your professional career where you have demonstrated at least one of them.
- The position is open until filled, but preference will be given to those candidates who apply on or before April 30, 2021
- Please note that all candidate interviews will be conducted by video using the Zoom (https://zoom.us/) video communications application. Please download the application in advance and have a functioning camera and speaker on your device. MMDG can also provide candidates with reasonable accommodations, if needed.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status. It is the policy of MMDG to comply with all the relevant and applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). MMDG does not discriminate against any qualified employees or job applicants with respect to any terms, privileges, or conditions of employment because of a person’s physical or mental disability. MMDG makes reasonable accommodation wherever necessary for all employees or applicants with disabilities, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the duties and assignments connected with the job and provided that any accommodations made do not require significant difficulty or expense.
The internationally renowned Mark Morris Dance Group (MMDG) has received “highest praise for their technical aplomb, their musicality, and their sheer human authenticity.” (Bloomberg News). Founded in 1980, the Dance Group performs the repertory of choreographer Mark Morris, hailed as the “the most successful and influential choreographer alive, and indisputably the most musical” (The New York Times), whose work is acclaimed for its ingenuity, musicality, wit, and humanity. Live music and community engagement are vital components of the Dance Group. It has toured with its own musicians, the MMDG Music Ensemble, since 1996, and regularly collaborates with orchestras and opera companies around the world. In addition to 17 full-time dancers, the organization currently employs 34 full-time staff and 75 part-time staff, teaching artists, and musicians.
In the heart of the Brooklyn Cultural District, the Mark Morris Dance Center, founded in 2001, is the hub of dance and music education in Brooklyn. The nine-studio building provides affordable classes in multiple genres for people of all ages, levels, with and without disabilities, accompanied by live music. The studios, a performance space, a Wellness Center, and ancillary spaces are all available to the community and to nonprofit organizations at subsidized rates. MMDG’s Community Education Programs partner with public and private schools and community centers to provide customized classes. MMDG also offers customized dance workshops for persons with Parkinson’s disease and their caregivers in 10 locations in all 5 boroughs.
MMDG programs in NYC and worldwide engage over 100,000 people annually. Propelled by core values of community, access, excellence, and creativity, MMDG is committed to ongoing equity, diversity, and inclusion work to ensure its programs are welcoming and accessible to all.
Location/Region: Brooklyn, NY (11217)