Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it's about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Soul, performance and style take flight at Jordan Brand. With its deep roots in basketball, the Jordan Brand began as an homage to one player: Michael Jordan. Since then, Jordan has become synonymous with peak performance and an endless pursuit of greatness. Employees in merchandising, product branding, sports marketing and sales bring creativity, innovation and audacious design to footwear and apparel, all with one mission in mind: help athletes fly on and off the court.
The Jordan Brand Global Communications teams builds global narratives, drive influence, and lead culture by carving new spaces to invent new storytelling approaches. Our Communications team thrives because of our deep, authentic connections to communities that have shaped Jordan Brand - the global basketball family, Black Culture, fashion, music and art.
We are a team of optimists, dreamers and inventors. But most of all, we're in love with the art of a cool story. We are culturally curious and plugged into emerging conversations that matter most to our consumer. We are not afraid to go against the status quo to create unexpected connections and meaningful moments for Jordan Brand. We are community minded and purpose driven. We are working to drive new conversations, envision bigger possibilities, drive influence and deliver new levels of creative thinking to advance the Jordan Brand narrative around the world!
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are searching for an experienced Communications Director to join our team in New York, NY.
You will develop relationships at the heart of culture, fashion, art and sport. With a primary focus on future-forward, long-term projects that will help enhance our reach globally, this person will also help concept and elevate strategic executions, be a source for collaborative partnerships cross-functionally, and will partner with other teams to amplify cultural and sports moments to ignite purposeful conversations around the Jordan Brand's most powerful stories. This role is rooted in purposeful creativity, driven by strategic planning, and fueled by partnership and collaboration.
The ideal candidate possesses a bold personality and an entrepreneurial spirit. You operate at the intersection of sport and culture and understand the nuances of serving the edges. You are culturally curious with a natural aptitude to voraciously consume global news that spans global events, contemporary and street art, youth culture, music, technology, counterculture, fashion, sport, literary and academic invention.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications and Purpose, key responsibilities include:
- Working with the Vice President of Communications and Purpose in developing creative concepts and creative communications ideas through strong research skills and creative collaboration
- Working with the Vice President of Communications and Purpose in defining project scope, goals and deliverables that support the project concept within a presentation format
- Build long term sustainable essential communications plans for our athletes, design community, and executives to improve storytelling
- Partner with the Global Strategic Communications Narrative, Enterprise, and Purpose teams to build cohesive plans and executions for outsized impact and deeper storytelling
- Create, communicate and update project schedules and status
- Build, develop and grow any business relations vital to the success of new concepts
- Provide design/creative project management oversight, technical expertise, and external vendor-facing communication in sourcing necessary materials
- Management of the operating frameworks for all new concepts (on-site labor management, photo production, production management, schedule development, vendor management
- Help maintain global brand harmonization
- Develop and maintain concept project plans for year-round calendar initiatives
- Manage timeline expectations and gathers cross-functional priority needs to effectively manage workflow within a fast-paced environment
- Identify concept projects risks and works with the global communications team to ensure mitigating plans are created
- Conceptualize creative solutions that effectively contribute to the strength and development of Jordan Brand
- Direct and manage new concepts projects from beginning to end
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and partners in a timely and clear fashion
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
You'll be part of the Global Communications team for Jordan Brand, working closely with Global Brand, key city or geo teams, Innovation, design, and Jordan leadership teams.
This position reports to the Vice President, Communications and Purpose, based at Nike's NYHQ office in New York, NY.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, PR, English, Humanities, Sociology, Psychology, Communications, or related subject area
- 10+ years professional experience in high profile corporate, agency, and/ or public relations roles supporting global brands with a strong preference for an emphasis on culture and sport
- 2 additional years of experience required in lieu of a degree
- Culturally curious and hyper connected - allows you to constantly be seeking new storytelling opportunities
- Results oriented, motivated by challenges with a positive self-starter attitude
- Must be adaptable in a fast-paced work environment and nimble in the moment. Must thrive in high pressure environments with an earnest desire to learn and grow. High taste level, ability to work respectfully across large teams with a balanced understanding of the sport and luxury industries
- Culturally curious, natural aptitude to voraciously consume global news that spans global events, contemporary and street art, youth culture, music, technology, counter-culture, fashion, sport, literary and academic invention
- Has a deep knowledge of global trends in both consumer and society spheres with a keen ability to anticipate the future of global consumer movements from influence, behavior, approach, and migration patterns
- Possess a personal network amongst the creative community that can be used for meaningful expertise, cultural knowledge, and creative partnerships
- Ability to forecast emerging global trends and youth culture movements
- Proficient with messaging and materials - particularly adept at writing, flexible in various formats
- Optimistic and solutions oriented
- Knowledge of the operating frameworks for all cultural projects (on-site labor management, photo production, production management, etc.)
- Deep knowledge and awareness of the global cultural calendar of key events and moments that engage the creative class in key Brand business markets
- Demonstrates ability to think creatively and provide marketable solutions in conceiving, developing and producing tactics
- Background and experience working in footwear and apparel industry is beneficial but not essential
- Strong awareness and understanding of the cultural relevance of Jordan Brand and a personal connection to sneaker and/or basketball culture
- Proficiency in a second language is beneficial
- Proficiency in all digital social media platforms is a must, i.e. Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, TikTok etc.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Location/Region: New York, NY