NJ Advance Media (NJ.com) is looking for an ambitious, competitive, versatile and digitally minded meteorologist as part of our expanding Content Innovation team and specific mission to continue growing audience and revenue. The meteorologist will gather information for a variety of reports through interviews, observation, data, models and resources; report and produce news stories, analysis, forecasts, forecast maps and videos for various platforms; and act as a discussion leader on high-value topics, meeting audience demand for immediacy, depth and engagement.
The ideal candidate will be unafraid to think big and may be involved in special assignments, investigative stories, the development of sales and sponsorships, implementation of new engagement platforms and hosting editorial events, in person and virtual.
This is a newsroom position on our Content team. To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter and links to any relevant clips.
You should apply if you have:
- Degree in Meteorology with an added expertise in journalism, communications or related field
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with a proven ability in reporting, writing, video production, hosting and social media
- Skilled at building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately, handling complex assignments
- Demonstrated reporting, writing and organizational skills
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of search engine optimization practices
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of social media to source and promote content
- Demonstrated knowledge of video production and video editing
- Expertise in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- Proven use of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms – digital, print, mobile, social, video, etc.
- Proven track record of building relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
- Proven track record of building relationships with advertisers and sponsors
- Ability to work remotely
- Ability to work flexible work schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed and as determined by weather events
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton, PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that's most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.