Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
APM Reports is looking for a data journalist who will take our investigative projects to the next level. You will pursue data, documents, sources, and stories – collaboratively and independently – with a top-flight team of investigative reporters, editors, producers, and fellow data journalists. You will need to be detailed and curious by nature, relentlessly pursuing public documents and data. Your references will need to rave about your ambition, persistence, creativity, and precision. You will analyze the data, present findings, and work with digital producers on the presentation. A penchant for research is required along with knowledge of the art of public document requests. You have mastered data analysis tools and some statistics software. You will help others, train others and check others’ work. Most important: You love working on a team and enthusiastically take on external collaborations. National reporting experience is valued, along with demonstrated examples of your work in investigative projects.
Minimum Compensation: Exact hourly rate determined by experience and education related to the role, organizational compensation structure and internal equity.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Work Location: St. Paul, MN or Remote USA
- Team with investigative reporters and editors on assigned project.
- Participate in project conception through the lens of data.
- Hunt and retrieve public documents and data with other reporters.
- Oversee organization of documents, data, and requests.
- Assemble data and create databases from multiple sources.
- Analyze data and share findings with reporting partners and the public.
- Collaborate with digital producers to design and visualize data.
- Consult with topic experts to identify the best data sources and analytic approaches.
- At times, conduct research.
- At times, interview story subjects.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent journalism or data experience.
- Four or more years reporting for a news organization. Ideally some at a national level.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Experience acquiring and analyzing large data sets using spreadsheets, database managers and various programming languages, such as Python or R.
- Experience with GIS and spatial analysis tools
- Ability to extract structured data from unstructured documents.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and how to perform basic to intermediate quantitative analysis.
- Accomplishment requesting public information.
- Experience collaborating with web production and web development teams.
- Working knowledge of scripting languages and related web frameworks.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tools.
- Command of data visualization tools.
- Ability to provide creative multimedia ideas for online interactive projects.
- Strong, clear writing skills.
- Ability to scrape webpages.
- Impeccable journalistic integrity and editorial judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, to master detail and to fact-check.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- At least three years working in a data role.
- Training in, or working understanding of, statistics.
- Deep familiarity with HTML and Web publishing tools.
- Experience with database design.
- Demonstrated experience building news apps and visualizing data.
- Familiarity with technical issues around web development.
- Audio field recording experience.
- National reporting experience.
- Digital production experience.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Required to move about in the community.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
Location/Region: St. Paul, MN or Remote