The Kokomo Perspective, a weekly newspaper that's delivered for free to 24,000 households in Howard County, is looking for an enthusiastic, experienced news reporter to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for chasing stories, digging deep, and presenting in-depth enterprise stories to our readers. The news reporter also will write breaking news articles for online. As a weekly newspaper, our print stories focus on the "why" instead of the "who," "what," "when," and "where," while we keep our web content fresh daily with breaking news and event stories.
As a news reporter, you will work closely with local leaders, politicians, and the community as a whole to develop your beat in local politics, crime, and the court system. Ultimately, you should be able to follow current events and present news stories to our Howard County audience in an informative, interesting, and unbiased way.
- Report and write stories for print, website, and social media and post breaking news stories as soon as possible
- Come up with story ideas to present at weekly editorial meetings
- Develop and maintain sources within assigned beats
- Keep abreast of new developments by attending meetings, events, etc.
- Ensure complete accuracy in all articles
- Take strong photos to accompany articles to help tell the stories
- Write articles for special editions
- Write editorials as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Has a strong grasp of news writing, AP style, grammar, and the English language
- Can turn around accurate, informative stories quickly and meet deadlines
- Can write strong enterprise stories
- Can juggle multiple projects
- Can gauge the types of stories readers want and deliver
- Excellent research and problem-solving skills
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and interview skills
- Ability to edit own work if needed
- 1 to 3 years of journalism experience
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field
- Photography experience preferred
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop preferred
- Valid driver's license and insurance as the job requires travel to conduct interviews, cover meetings, etc.
About this company
The Kokomo Perspective is a weekly newspaper in Kokomo, Ind., that is delivered free to more than 24,000 homes in Howard County.
Location/Region: Kokomo, IN (46901)