The Director of Communications helps us tell our organization’s story, celebrating the work God is doing among us, with us, and through us. Working with our leadership team the Director of Communications will be an integral participant in our organization’s upcoming season of strategic planning and visioning in April-December 2021. The Director of Communications will then help us develop and implement a practical communications plan that maximizes our connectivity, visibility, and presence, both inside our organization and in the larger community.
The Director of Communications manages and leads the entire day-to-day communications process with a part-time assistant and an assortment of external vendors. This includes everything from overseeing creative material development to marketing placement to video production to social media and website content management. A talented generalist who is able to manage many simultaneous projects well and who knows when to outsource will thrive in this position. Candidates who are familiar with the Indianapolis marketplace and culture are strongly desired and will be asked to explain their knowledge and share their expertise during the interview process.
The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge in completing the following job responsibilities:
- Works with the internal management team and external consultants, when necessary, to implement and manage on a day-to-day basis a master communications plan that promotes the organization’s larger vision and mission.
- Oversees the production of all communications including, but not limited to: publications, websites, videos, directories, signage, brochures, reports, giving requests, social media posts, stationery, and all other collateral materials, including the proofing and production of all materials, to ensure that they are consistent with the branding identity and mission of the organization.
- Manages, hires, and develops all external vendors used for communications, e.g., graphic artists, website developers, videographers, editors, etc. Maintains external professional vendor relationships to assure the ongoing availability of specialized expertise, gifted freelancers, and reputable studios/producers when their services are required.
- Works with the leadership team to develop and maintain the organization’s style guide and brand identity. Standardizes the organization’s messaging across all platforms and coaches staff members and volunteers in this area.
- Supervises and manages the vendor in charge of online activities to ensure brand and content consistency. Consistently seeks to connect online experience with offline in-person connections.
- Writes, edits, and oversees the design, layout and production of seasonal mailers, the weekly bulletin, and weekly e-news, emphasizing easy points of connection where our members, newcomers, and community members may engage with us in ministry.
- Develops and maintains connections to local media, serving as the primary media contact for the organization and all related events.
- Designs and develops all advertisements for the organization including creation, placement and production.
- Regularly maintains the organization’s website and social media accounts, keeping them fresh, inviting, focused on our mission, and easy to access.
- Designs and oversees the placement of the signage in the building and on the grounds, reflecting events and seasons taking place as well as the organization’s mission and values.
- Tracks our progress by regularly monitoring and reporting communications metrics, studying the audiences that the organization is trying to reach, and uses that knowledge to recommend and implement campaigns and outreach strategies.
- Oversees and manages the communications budget.
- Consistently is the staff member who asks the question: “Does this event, brochure, advertisement, announcement, etc. communicate the vision and mission of the organization?”
- Is regularly present at least two Sundays a month, and as needed, to connect with members, to see our ministry in action, and to research current and future topics for publicity.
- Trains, equips and empowers leaders on how to communicate their ministry’s vision and programming.
- Visits with all ministries on a regular basis, researching current and future topics for publicity, helping these ministries to communicate within the larger context of the whole community and to the general public.
- Works with staff and volunteer leaders to create campaigns that attract, invite, and welcome newcomers and nearby residents to our events.