Harpswell News is a non-partisan, non-profit news and information source committed to building community and enhancing the lives of local residents, businesses and organizations by providing trusted local information and covering topics of interest to Harpswell.
The organization is looking for a talented, hard-working and innovative part-time Director of Development and Operations to oversee its fundraising and business activities. The Director of Development and Operations will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the operations of Harpswell News’ products—a monthly print community newspaper (the Harpswell Anchor); a website (with regularly updated on-line content); and any social media sites connected to it. This position reports to Harpswell News’ Board of Directors. It shares oversight of the Administrative Assistant with the Editor.
The Harpswell Anchor and its website serve a beautiful coastal community of roughly 5,000 with a working waterfront and plenty of seasonal visitors with second homes. Located 45 minutes north of Portland, near Brunswick (Bowdoin College), Bath and Boothbay. Great year-round outdoor sports. And lobster!
Duties & Responsibilities
• Raises approximately $200K+/year in tax-deductible donations from individuals, sponsorships from businesses and nonprofits, and grants
• Oversees the business sponsorship program, ensuring that advertising in the Harpswell Anchor complies with the guidelines of the Institute for Nonprofit News (inn.org)
• Develops and leads the fundraising-related communications program, including messaging in the print and on-line versions of the Harpswell Anchor, Constant Contact and social media
• Processes and acknowledges all gifts to Harpswell News
• Manages the donor database Little Green Light
• Plans and implements fundraising programs/events
• Runs day-to-day executive operations: pays bills, runs payroll, interacts with vendors, etc.
• Manages the organization’s budget • Coordinates with the organization’s Editor when necessary
• Adheres strictly to and enforces any guidelines and ethics policies required under this non-profit business structure
• Partners with the Institute for Nonprofit News (inn.org) to ensure best practices
• Experience in identifying, cultivating and soliciting major gifts
• Proven track record in leading successful Annual Funds
• Skilled in creating programs and events
• Understands the budgeting process
• Experience in leading teams toward identified goals
• Excellence in oral and written communications
• Proven track record of teamwork
• High ethical standards
• Preferred: Experience with WordPress and website production, Constant Contact, Little Green Light, social media, QuickBooks
The salary range is between $28,000 and $40,000 per year depending on experience. This is a part-time position. (80%)
Location/Region: Harpswell, ME (04079)