American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Broadcast Communications. This person will work as a senior member of the Communications team and will be responsible for overseeing all interactions and partnerships with broadcast media.
The Director will develop and execute strategies to increase the visibility of American Progress’ experts and work across TV networks, digital streaming programs, radio, and podcasts. The Director will lead regular group and individual media trainings for American Progress staff, and, on occasion, they will lead individual prep sessions for interviews. The Director will also work closely with American Progress’ Events staff to generate media interest in the organization’s events.
In conjunction with the Broadcast Manager, the Director will help oversee booking American Progress guests for radio and podcasts and will help oversee production of the Center for American Progress Action Fund’s podcast, “The Tent.” In this role, the Director will work with production staff to book high-quality guests, supervise the scripting of interviews, approve social media posts, and strategize on short- and long-term ideas to maintain and grow the podcast’s audience.
The Director of Broadcast Communications will create and disseminate talking points to progressive allies and distribute memos and briefings to hosts, producers, broadcast reporters, and bookers, as well as arrange occasional meetings to raise awareness about the organization’s work. They will also oversee the use of American Progress’ in-house TV and radio studios—both for staff and external vendors—and implement strategies to increase the studios’ utility.
The role requires a deep understanding of the broadcast media environment, an assertive mindset, and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Oversee all of American Progress’ broadcast interactions.
- Cultivate, maintain, and nurture broadcast, digital streaming, radio, and podcast relationships and partnerships on an ongoing basis.
- Actively pitch American Progress staff and analyses for broadcast appearances, including handling the necessary logistics and managing preparation and research.
- Act as the primary contact for TV producers, reporters, researchers, and hosts.
- Supervise the Broadcast Manager, who is responsible for radio outreach, podcast outreach, and production of CAP Action’s podcast, “The Tent.”
- Act as supervising producer for CAP Action’s podcast, “The Tent.”
- Prepare and brief executive leadership for TV interviews.
- Create and disseminate key materials such as memos, talking points, and other work to progressive allies and appropriate media outlets.
- Run individual and group media trainings for American Progress staff at all levels of the organization.
- Generate press interest in American Progress events and act as the liaison to broadcast media at events.
- Field incoming press inquiries and determine the suitability and strategic value of engagement.
- Contribute to the broader media strategy on the Press team.