Founded in 1970, we are the premier global publisher and the essential source of news and analysis for over 150,000 tax professionals, with correspondents in more than 125 countries, and a staff of almost 200. You can get an idea of our work at www.taxnotes.com.
Tax Analysts offers a casual work environment -- relaxed dress code and pet friendly -- where talented individuals come together to produce great work. Our staff enjoys free covered parking, an exercise room with showers, and a working environment that embraces team collaboration and innovation. Here you will have the opportunity to pursue a fulfilling career and still have time for what's important to you personally, such as family, travel, education, or giving back to the community.
We are committed to providing a workplace that offers family-friendly policies and a flexible atmosphere that caters to the needs of working professionals. We strive to offer a realistic work/life balance, competitive compensation, and a generous benefits package.
We are recruiting a Reporter to join our Tax Notes Today State team. Work may be performed remotely until telework status changes (currently on telework until September 7th). Work is normally performed in the Falls Church office, Mon-Fri, flexible start time.
SUMMARY: Works independently to write tax-related news stories for daily publication by attending scheduled meetings, press conferences, and events. Conducts interviews, research, and fact-checking. Maintains contacts with government officials, private practitioners, and other sources and participates in weekly editorial meetings. Responsibilities include filing daily and weekly news stories.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet editorial objectives.
1. Works independently to write tax-related state stories by attending scheduled meetings, press conferences, and events. Conducts interviews, research, and fact-checking. Maintains contacts with government officials, private practitioners, and other sources.
2. Researches, reports, and writes stories or other news content for print and electronic publications as requested by the editors.
3. Covers scheduled tax-related hearings, press conferences, and other events or developments as assigned.
4. Collects information by obtaining press kits, government releases, other documents, and interviews; does thorough research. Develops a “beat” as assigned by the editors, and a network of sources knowledgeable about that beat.
5. Coordinates story ideas and writing assignments with editorial staff as needed. Attends editorial meetings.
6. Enters information in the Content Management System, according to established procedures.
7. May be required to travel to cover tax-related events in other cities.
8. Adheres to established publication deadlines and company style guide.
9. May use social media to engage with readers and build source networks.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to work well under daily deadline pressure and adjust to changing priorities
- Superior communication skills are essential to effectively interact with top government officials and their staffs, academics, lobbyists, and tax practitioners
- Must be able to use a laptop to connect to network remotely and transfer stories in a timely manner
- Familiarity with online publishing highly desirable
- Must be capable of aggressively pursuing all angles of a given story
- Must be willing to travel
- Demonstrated dependability through punctual attendance (in corporate office or at assigned event
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to type, file, handle or feel; reach with arms. Have visual acuity to use a computer and keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures, read extensively. Occasionally required to stand, walk and lift up to 20 pounds. Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations and occasionally requires standing for prolonged periods. Work is primarily performed in a temperature-controlled office environment, and occasionally performed in conference settings. This job requires moderate travel up to 25%.