U.S. News & World Report is a digital first media company dedicated to helping consumers and business professionals make important decisions. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for more than 85 years.
As a trusted authority providing empowerment and guidance that improves the quality of life for consumers and communities, U.S. News ultimately leads to better life decisions.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
U.S. News empowers everyone to thrive. In this position, you will use your strengths and skills to edit consumer health advice content and work with a team of talented reporters and editors.
You’ll edit articles and slideshows on topics such as fitness, nutrition, diets, senior care, Medicare, hospitals, doctors and medications, as well as content support for our annual health rankings such as Best Hospitals and Best Diets. You’ll also work with freelance writers; compile and review our biweekly newsletter, Your Health; and use SEO and analytics tools to develop story ideas and monitor the performance of our content. You’ll also work with our communications team to promote our content on social media and with other media outlets.
Are you up to the challenge?
You should be a nimble editor who is skilled at juggling several tasks at once and understands how to employ SEO best practices to help our advice content reach a larger audience in the consumer health space.
As part of the job, you’ll:
- Edit articles, slideshows, diet profiles and other content for flow, consistency, tone, audience, brevity, accuracy and SEO.
- Employ SEO best practices to determine topics to cover and optimize content for search.
- Use Google Analytics to monitor performance of content and inform decisions.
- Edit and update content as part of our medical review process, and work with doctors and experts in the space to ensure content is accurate and gives helpful advice and information to readers.
- Work with freelance writers with expertise in the consumer health and wellness spaces, assign articles, and edit their copy.
- Work closely with the health product and SEO teams.
Please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
You should definitely have:
- 2+ years of professional editing experience at a media company or health publication
- Knowledge and interest in consumer health and wellness topics
- Experience employing SEO best practices and using SEO tools
- Ability to prioritize assignments and meet deadlines
- Prior experience using AP style
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Journalism or related degree or equivalent experience
It would be nice if you had:
- Experience with traffic analytics tools like Google Analytics
- Experience building and optimizing newsletters
- Prior experience editing and publishing content in a CMS
What it’s like to work with us:
- Talent is our best asset!
- We invest in people with passion and potential who understand U.S. News’ dedication to our consumers.
- Entrepreneurial, mission-driven culture with core values of quality and integrity
- Focus on fostering personal and professional growth
- Competitive benefits including paid vacation time, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Collaborative Work Environment ~ Fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious co-workers
Other Job Info:
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.